Le Chardonnay de Chardonnay
- AppellationBourgogne - Mâconnais
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield50 hl/ha
- Cellaring Potential2-3 years
- Serving temperature 10-12°
- This exciting new addition to the Louis Latour portfolio promises to become a classic. It is essentially a "Super Mâcon", with the fruit coming exclusively from the famous village of Chardonnay in the Mâconnais region. Chardonnay vines and the Chardonnay soil conspire to create the most harmonious of white wines. Chardonnay, the first village to have planted the Chardonnay grape, continues to this day to produce world-class white Burgundy worth of its name. This unique offering embodies a sense of origin and place.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting NoteA bright, straw-colored wine with excellent clarity. A typical Burgundian Chardonnay that offers ripe peaches, pears, crushed rocks and vanilla notes. Slightly peppery. Lively and round on the palate. A great length.
This wine can be enjoyed in its youth or cellared for a few years.
- Food PairingCrawfish - escargots - white meat - Comté cheese
- 2006 Le Chardonnay de Chardonnay - Food & Wine - USA - April 2009:One of Burgundy’s most legendary producers, Latour is renowned for its wonderful grand cru Corton-Charlemagne. This new Latour bottling, so named because the grapes come from the village of Chardonnay, is creamy but very focused.
- 2006 Le Chardonnay de Chardonnay - The Buffalo News - USA - November 26th 2008:French wine producers rarely identify the grape variety on their wines, preferring instead to use the name of the village where the grapes are grown. Surprising to many, there is a village called Chardonnay in the Macon region that until now has been rather obscure even though it may have been the first to grow chardonnay. What a testimonial this is. It’s a beauty and reasonably priced. Generous citrus aromas, tropical fruit flavors, crisp yet round in the mouth. Delicious by itself or a good companion to fish or fowl.