Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru"Clos des Argillières"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationNuits-Saint-Georges Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Situated half-way between Dijon and Beaune, Nuits-Saint-Georges gives its name to the Côte de Nuits. Nuits-Saint-Georges Premiers Crus are produced from 37 independent vineyards, all of which are quite small in size (none over 10 hectares) for a combined total of 151 hectares, approximately 50% of the vineyard surface area of the village. The vineyard of « Clos des Argillières » as the name suggests ('argile' is clay) has a slightly greater concentration of clay in its heavy soils which produces a wine with good colour and plenty of fruity savour that opens up wonderfully with time.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe wine has a glossy appearance and complex nose of forward fruits with clear wood presence. Also noticeable are flavours of liquorice, strawberries, rhubarb and blackcurrant. The palate was very delicate and elegant with a finesse and finish that will surely transform this into a truly fine wine.
- Food PairingRoasted leg of mutton - entrecôte with shallots - mature cheeses