Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"Les Referts"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree.
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home to some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet and Bâtard-Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the 216 hectare geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. At the bottom of the hillside, "Les Referts" is situated between "Les Perrières" and "Les Charmes" and benefits from an ideal south-easterly exposure.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation.
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2020 has a brilliant pale yellow colour. Its nose is seductive with aromas of yellow fruits and vanilla. The mouth, ample and round, reveals notes of vanilla and almond along with a pretty floral touch. The finish is long and intense.
- Food PairingPan-fried perch - foie gras- fish - shellfish - cheese.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2020 - Burghound.com - 90-93/100 pts
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2020 - Burghound.com - 90-93/100 pts
There is fine volume to the plump
and highly seductive middle weight flavors
that possess a caressing mid-palate that
contrasts with the intense, powerful and
agreeably dry on the balanced and solidly
persistent finale. 2027+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2019 - 91/92 pts - The World of Fine Wine
An opulent aroma and a rich showy palate. It's quite weighty, generous, and full. Yellow peach and oak. It became fresher and gathered more momentum after two days. 2025-2030
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2018, 94/100, James Suckling
A creamy-textured white with lemons, pear drops, light vanilla and hints of green apples. Lively acidity and a steely undertone. Medium to full body. Flavorful finish. Zesty. Drink or hold.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Perrières" 2018, 94/100, James Suckling
Very pretty palate to this with densely proportioned fruit , offering cooked-apple, honey and lemon-cream flavors. White peaches, too. It's full-bodied with a tense framework. Lively finish. Drinkable now, but better in a year or two.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - June 2020 - 91/100
In the same fashion as the Garenne, there is a similar whiff of talcum powder to the nicely elegant aromas of poached pear, acacia blossom and soft spice wisps. The clean, intense and nicely precise flavors possess very good verve and the natural sophistication of good Puligny, all wrapped in a lightly mineral-inflected, refreshing and agreeably dry finale.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2018 - Wine Enthusiast - USA - April 2020 - 92/100
Notes of Mirabelle join suggestions of wet pebble on the nose of this wine. The juicy palate is vivid with lemony freshness, with a sinuous body that gives the impression of dissolved stone, greengage skin and zest. The finish is dry and refreshing. (Anne Kriebehl MW)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 93/100Beautiful fruit purity here with an array of grapefruit, white peaches and green mangoes. The palate has an exotic feel with ripeness and great acidity. This is very open already, but has the acidity to age for six to eight years.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2017 - Wine Spectator - June 2019 - 95/100
There is a softness to this white in the beginning, showcasing floral, peach and pastry aromas. As this develops on the palate, the creamy texture endures, with a mineral element emerging on the finish. Should be terrific when it integrates fully. (Bruce Sanderson, USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2017 - Wine Spectator - Septembre 2019 - 95/100, Top Wine
There's a softness to this at first, with floral, peach and pastry aromas, but the creamy texture endures and a minerai element emerges. (Bruce Sanderson, USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2017 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - 93/100
One of the high points of the portfolio is the 2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts, a pretty wine that offers up notes of sweet lemon oil, lime, crisp green apples and dried white flowers. On the palate, it's medium-to-full bodied, satiny and layered, with an ample, succulent profile and lovely purity. (cask sample)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16/20
Savoury nose. And then pretty big and chewy. Drink: 2022 - 2028 (cask sample)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 95/100 Plenty of peach, dried-apple and pear aromas with hints of flowers. Full-bodied, racy and linear with beautiful density and length. Solid white. Better after 2023.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 94/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 93/100
Fine, reflective straw-green color. Some real complexity here, manifold flavors across both nose and palate. - Michael Edwards
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 95/100This is a very complete white with dried fruits, such as lemons and grapefruit, as well as fresh fruit. Namely, apples and green mangoes. Full-bodied, layered and tight with vivid acidity and brightness. Fantastic. Drink in 2020.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 17/20
Dry, fibrous palate with intense fruit - compact and taut and actually quite heavy. Lovely spicy oak element on the finish. Broad, balanced, lengthy and classic. (RH) Drink 2019-2029
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017There are no flowers here but the small notes of complexity are as good as any wine so far - just an accent in the core of the ripe fruit to come. Lots of volume in the mouth but here it's really beautifully delivered, layers of flavour some agrumes, almost some mandarin, and a sweetened but absolutely delicious finish. Excellent!
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 92/100
Rounded and warm, this wine shows ripe yellow fruits and spice from the wood aging. It's richly endowed, full of toast and with a generous texture. The minerality and acidity are a hint in this rounded wine. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 89/100
Hints of citrus and matchstick sit atop the ripe orchard fruit and acacia blossom scented nose. The exceptionally rich, sappy and mouth coating flavors possess only average depth though the persistence is solid as the slight warmth isn't really enough to materially detract from the overall sense of balance. 89/2020+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 16/20
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 93/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "A lovely finish"
A wide nose and with plenty of fresh depth too - great texture and a little minerality too, followed by a growing intensity. A lovely finish, with a hint of tannin texture. Bill Nanson (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 94/100A
dense and beautiful white with a gorgeous middle palate of dried apple and
pineapple character. Full body, bright acidity and a long finish. Mineral,
flint and dried fruit too. Drink now.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 93/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Gorgeously detailed finish"
The shape and balance of this wine is lovely. (...) A wine really to wait for so the oak influence is less, but the potential is there to see.... Particularly the gorgeously detailed finish. (cask sample). By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2012 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Even more excellent"bigger nose with a hint more ripe fruit and a wider panorama too. Very fine in the mouth - it rolls effortlessly over the tongue with fine texture and a fine reboot of flavour after the mid-palate. Even more excellent!
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 92/100(...) There is excellent concentration but also solid delineation to the utterly delicious and caressing medium weight flavors that possess the intrinsic class of a fine Puligny 1er. This isn't as refined as the Folatières or the Truffières but the finish delivers more power and excellent persistence. 2019+. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "interesting aromas"Cask sample. Toasty new oak (100% new) and a little reduction too (still in barrel) - fortunately these notes lift from the glass rather quickly, leaving a sweeter and more interesting aroma. Silky but concentrated, with a quickly building intensity into the mid-palate. Plenty of extract here - I'd dare to suggest you should leave it in the cellar for about 5 years... - Bill Nanson
- Puligny-Montrachet "Les Referts” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 90/100 An exuberantly fresh nose displays notes of acacia blossom, rose petal, green apple and dried apricot. There is a lovely sense of underlying tension to the pure and intense medium-bodied flavors that possess fine delineation on the clean, dry and balanced finish that offers just a bit more overall depth. 2016+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 91/100A very subtle touch of wood frames very fresh and again, admirably pure aromas of acacia blossom, spiced pear and green apple nuances. There is good volume and mid-palate density to the generous, sappy and seductively textured middle weight flavors that offer fine complexity on the mildly austere but impressively lingering finish. Worth a look. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts” 2008 - Wine Spectator - November 2010 - 90/100There's appealing apple, spice and mineral scents and flavors in this white, which shows clarity andpurity, with harmony and a firm, stony aftertaste. Best from 2011 through 2016. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound.com - July 2010 - 89-91/100Pronounced floral aromas cut with lemon, stone and subtle oak influence serve as a very pretty introduction to the round yet detailed, refined and punchy middle weight flavors that are reasonably complex and wrapped in a moderately short finish. At present this is ever-so-mildly awkward but the underlying material is of sufficiently good quality that I suspect that it will harmonize soon. (89-91)/2014+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - July 2010 - 88/100A combination of lemon, spice and chalk aromas and flavors highlight this white, which is still a little disjointed, but the finish is long. Best from 2011 through 2018. 200 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 90/100Here the wood is a bit more obvious with a green fruit, pear and floral-infused nose where the wood is also moderately present on the dense if not especially elegant flavors that possess a generous if not actually opulent mouth feel and a fine yet powerful finish that is dryer than the mid-palate would suggest. 2010+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet “Referts” - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 88 points :A fresh but highly exotic nose of apricot, mango and hints of coconut and pineapple complement the spicy, rich, mouth coating and sappy flavors that are tangy and delicious though not particularly complex. Still, this is forward, generous and easy to like with enough depth to suggest 1 to 3 years of potential improvement. 88/2006+
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" - Wine Advocate - February 26th, 2004 - 91-92 points :Spiced herbal teas and rosemary can be found in the nose of the 2002 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Referts". A concentrated, deep, intense, light to medium-bodied wine, it is fresh, crammed with stones, pears and sices. Drink it between 2005-2011.
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" - Guide Hachette des Vins 2006 :“Let us be sincere” Alceste demands. After all the wine is. A young Puligny must have quite a light colour. Iodised aromas appear at first. Simple, solid and minerally, it is an easy wine that only wants to please people. Having succeeded in this, it does not pretend to be an ageing wine but is great to drink straight away.
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" - Burghound.com - July 2003 - 86-88 points :Noticeable oak on both the nose and the medium weight, round, slightly sweet palate impression and it's not entirely clear that the flavors have the requisite density to ever entirely absorb it. To be sure, there is good size and decent weight but this is unlikely to appeal to purists. (86-88)/2006-10.
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet "Referts" - The Wine Advocate - Issue 146 - 89-91 points : Oak-laden white fruits are found in the aromatic profile of the 2001 Puligny-Montrachet Referts. This detailed, elegant wine is medium-bodied, awash in oak-infused pears, and boasts an exceptionally long finish. My score will appear conservative if this concentrated effort absorbs its overly-assertive oak as it finishes élevage. Projected maturity: 2005-2010.
- 2000 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Referts" - Wine Enthusiast - August 2002 - 91 points :Open and flattering, as are many of the 2000's, showing a dose of smoky, toasty oak layered over buttered nuts, honey and peach. Turns more citrusy on the finish, with tangerine and mineral notes lingering gently. Quite oaky, but has the depth of fruit to support it.
- 1998 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Referts" 1er Cru - Wine Enthusiast Magazine - November 2000 - 92 points : A rich lush melange of fruit and nuts, with sinuous, almost unctuous flavors that twine around the palate like a snake. Long, fascinating finish, elegantly balanced and
- 1996 Puligny-Montrachet "Les Referts" - The Wine Advocate - 89-92 points : ‘Displaying highly-detailed metallic and mineral scents, the Puligny-Montrachet Les Referts is a thick-textured, wide, powerful, delineated, medium-to-full bodied, and refined wine packed with earth, stones and sweet anise-like flavours.’
- Send by email
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Your pdf has been send with success.