- VillageCrus du Beaujolais
- Grape varietyGamay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilPink schistous granite
- Average yield50 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 13-15°
- Moulin-à-Vent is one of the 10 individual growths in the Beaujolais that constitute the highest ranking wines of the area due to their complexity and greater potential for ageing. The appellation of Moulin-à-Vent straddles the communes of Romanèche-Thorins and Chénas, taking its name from the old windmill in the heart of the vineyards. « Les Michelons » is a single vineyard chosen by Maison Louis Latour for its ideal southerly exposure and gently inclined slope. The wine has a remarkably deep richness of bouquet and intense savour requiring some ageing to reveal its full potential. It is the longest lived of all Cru Beaujolais.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing
- Tasting NoteThe Moulin-à -Vent "Les Michelons" 2013 has a garnet color and a floral nose, like peony. It is rich and fresh in the mouth with plenty of character.
- Food PairingGrilled meat - mature cheeses
- Moulin-à-Vent "Les Michelons" 2008 - Blackpool Gazette - April 2009 - "You can never have enough"We've previously raved about the Louis Latour Moulin-à-Vent Les Michelons 2008 but you can never have enough of a good thing. This is lovely with a well-seasoned meat or herby sausages, light enough not to overpower any subtlety . It's vibrant plum and cherry packed Beaujolais with a good tannin structure to add backbone and of all the crus in Beaujolais, more than capable of lasting a further decade in bottle.
- Moulin-à-Vent "Les Michelons" 2007 - City Life (UK) - November 17th 2008 - "Abundance of raspberry and strawberry"Les Michelons is a single vineyard in Moulin a Vent. The 2007 example sourced by Louis Latour has an interesting smokiness with an abundance of raspberry and strawberry and fruit. It has the spine to develop in the bottle over a number of years.
- 2003 Moulin à vent “Les Michelons" - Wine International - September 2005 - 87 points :“Heavy mulberry fruit. Full and ripe on the palate with a good depth of fruit. Firm on the finish.” DS Drink 2005 - 2009