Corton Grand Cru"Clos de la Vigne au Saint"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationCorton Grand Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 40 years
- SoilMarl and limestone
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential10-15 years
- Serving temperature 16-17°
- Clos de la Vigne au Saint is a very old vineyard; the earliest known record of its existence is in 1375 when it is mentioned in the records of the Chapter of Saulieu. The Latour family have a long connection with this vineyard which began in the early 19th century when Louis Latour's great great grandmother owned a section of the vineyard. Since then it has remained in family hands, passing from generation to generation. The vineyard has perfect southerly exposure on the Corton hill lying on a bedrock outcrop towards the bottom of the slope. The soil is a rusty red colour and rich in marl which gives the wines distinct aromas. This wine possesses the elegance that we expect from a Côte d'Or Grand Cru and will age particularly well.
- FermentationTraditional in open-vat fermentation
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteA ruby red colour with a perfumed nose of red fruit and vanilla. In the mouth, it is elegant and smooth. This wine has a good length and great potential for the future.
- Food PairingRoasted hare - partridge - duck "à l'orange" - mature cheeses
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2016 - Burghound.com - April 2018 - 91/100
Slightly sauvage-infected aromas of plum and dark cherry....the sense of underlying tension on the attractively detailed middle weight flavors that flash a subtle minerality on the firm, slightly austere and warm finale.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 96/100This is really classy with beautiful tannins and pretty ripe fruit. Linear and fine. Full body, gorgeous tannins and a breathtaking finish. Wow. Drink in 2022.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 92/100
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 92/100
Quite rich purple, strong redcurrant and raspberry fruit notes, not subtle but quite punchy. Good density through the middle (...) (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2015 - Wine Spectator Insider - August 2017 - 95/100
A concentrated core of pure cherry, raspberry and spice flavors highlights this intense red. Mineral and leafy tobacco elements add depth as this unfolds, while a firm, dusty matrix of tannins provides grip. Stays vibrant and long, with a terrific aftertaste of fruit, spice and mineral. Best from 2021 through 2040. From France.-B.S. - USA
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 91/100
There is fine size, weight and mid-palate concentration supporting the supple medium-bodied flavors that then immediately tighten up on the dusty, sappy and lingering finish. 2027+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 92/100
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - ""Great potential"
A wide, dark-fruited nose, complex dark fruits, almost gelée. Super in the mouth despite modest volume, but not modest intensity - waves of flavour, with a little tannin. A hint of licorice in the finish perhaps. This has great potential! Bill Nanson (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2014 - James Suckling - January 2017 - 94/100
A pretty, silky wine with a lovely texture and plenty of berry and cherry character. Medium to full body and a fresh finish. Lovely texture and richness. Yet always in balance. Drink now or hold.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 94/100 Editor's Choice
First recorded in 1375, this vineyard produces powerful, concentrated wines. This fine example is dense, weighty and firm. The acidity is there, buried in the firm tannins. It is a wine with an enormous potential, dark and full of plum skin and berries. Drink from 2022.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2014 - Wine Spectator- October 2016 - 90/100
Bright cherry and raspberry fruit pick up earth, tobacco and black pepper accents in this powerful red. Dense tannins leave a burr on the finish. Best from 2019 through 2028. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne Au Saint" 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 92/100
A softly spicy nose is composed mostly by notes of red and dark cherry along with earth and game hints. There is excellent volume and intensity to the relatively refined middle weight plus flavors that culminate in a mildly austere but not really rustic finale that delivers excellent length. This firmly constituted effort will definitely require at least a modicum of patience before it will drink well. /2026+
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2014 - Tim Atkin - February 2016 - 94/100
Ninety per cent of this clay-based, red-soiled vineyard belongs to Louis Latour. It's a very stylish, refined wine, showing lots of crunchy, redcurrant and pomegranate fruit flavours, filigree tannins and refreshing acidity, with none of the Corton gruffness. 2019-28 (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Pretty wine indeed"
A depth of aroma, faintly sweet fruit notes above, blended with some herb. Lithe, wide, fresh cool fruit. A slowly growing tannin but never more than an accent. Lovely high-toned flavour here, indeed an elegance here. This is very pretty wine indeed. (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne Au Saint" 2013 - James Suckling - Novembre 2015 - 93/100
This is a ripe and round wine with dried strawberry and lemon rind. Full, with lovely texture. Long and flavorful. A gorgeous wine. One of the classics of Latour. Drink or hold.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne Au Saint" 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 91/100Generous wood sets off relatively elegant aromas that are comprised of plum, black cherry, earth and anise hints. The detailed, dusty and sleekly muscular middle weight flavors possess good power and
punch before concluding in a slightly dry finish that again seems attributable to the abundant gas.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Very intense flavour"Deeper colour again. A wide high-toned aroma that hints to a little CO augmentation. In the mouth not especially though. Really very intense flavour, underpinned with plenty of acidity and tannin - a faint dryness but just an anecdote really. Yum!
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint"2012 - Burgundy Report - May 2016 - "A structural wine"
A pretty, very red fruit but transparent, not dense. Here is a little tannin at the base. Almost chocolatey accented fruit. Good intensity, and wide too. I like the finish which has a suggestion of salinity. Certainly a structural wine, one to wait for, but a nicely transparent delivery here. By Bill Nanson (UK - Tasting of Cortons 2012 )
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2012 - Wine Chronicles - May 2016 - 92/100
First of four 2012s from the Louis Latour master class. Aromas include bright red cherry and light toasted notes, the palate at once elegant and substantial, with the plum and cherry fruit complemented by touches of licorice, roasted espresso and spice cake notes. A lovely wine, with a long finish !
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 89/100Feels rich, with subtle flavors of macerated cherry, berry and spice, turning austere as the finish plays out. Very tight and closed for now. Spearmint and savory, mineral notes grace the finish. Best from 2019 through 2032.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 89/100Subtle but not invisible wood sets off the menthol-inflected mix of red currant and earth aromas. There is an almost easy mouth feel to the round, fleshy and relatively forward middle weight flavors that culminate in a balanced and modestly complex finish. 2019+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 90/100This red evokes cherry, wild berry, earth and spice flavors, locked in a firm structure and balanced on a lean, sinewy fram. The chewy finish stays long and dense. Best from 2017 trough 2029.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 17/20Charmingly restrained on the nose - lively fresh cherry fruit already expressive. Relatively slight for a grand cru but a harmony of fruit and tannins that lingers long and finishes nicely dry. Drink 2017-2025. By Julia Harding MW.
- Corton Grand Cru « Clos de la Vigne au Saint » 2011 - The World of Fine Wine - February 2013 - 15.5/20Muted but delicately perfumed cherry nose. Riche and full-bodied but surprisingly soft for Corton. Concentrated and has sweet tannins. By Stephen Brook (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2010- Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 94/100
Very youthful in colour after some 2010s, with perfume and a sense of lightness than I felt in the 2012 tasted earlier. Complex touches or red liquorice and chewy, fleshy plum and raspberry bright fruits, and a very fine and smooth tannin structure. There is power here again, there is concentration, but the freshness sets this apart from the 1er crus and the long, lightly spicy fruit filled finish. (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100Dense and almost chewy in texture, this boasts cherry, licorice, tea and earth flavors. Tightens up, with refined tannins on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2032.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2009 - Clive Coates - May 2013 - 17.5/20Medium colour. Soft, aromatic nose. Ripe and balanced. Good grip. Plenty of depth and a classy follow through. Fine. (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2009 - Wine Spectator - February 2012 - 90/100Ripe and voluminous, here's a spicy red that exhibits con-centrated cherry and raspberry notes, matched to a silky texture and firm tannins. The alcohol is elevated, leaving a touch of heat on the finish. Best from 2014 through 2025. (USA)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2008 - Wine Spectator - 2011 - 89/100A taut, sleek red, boasting cherry, licorice and mineral aromas and flavors. There's a light grain to its tannins and the finish evokes dusty cherry. Just a tad dry in the end. Best from 2013 through 2022. 250 cases made.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2007 - Wine Spectator - March 2010 - 91/100There's power to this, with a silky texture and tightly coiled structure. On the austere side, with the tannins outmuscling the fruit on the finish for now. Needs a few years for the fruit to emerge. Best from 2012 through 2022. - Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 93/100Very bright, perfumed and elegant with smooth, sweet red cherry fruit. The palate shows nice concentration of elegant cherry fruit with nice texture and firm but silky tannins. Gently sappy with a lovely lightness of touch. Light extraction here; a lovely wine.
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2005 - Singapore Airlines press release - July 29th, 2010 - "Wonderful"A wonderfully balanced and complex wine with a ripe cherry colour and a delicious aroma of red fruits along with more spicy notes that highlight the wine's natural elegance. It contains finely crafted tannins with a beautiful structure combined with a subtle hint of vanilla oak, resulting in a long and polished finish.
LIST OF RED BURGUNDY LABELS TO BE INTRODUCED IN SINGAPORE AIRLINES' SUITES AND FIRST CLASS FROM 1 AUGUST 2010
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2003 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 95/100
Lovely mellow colour with a touch of soft ochre on the rim. Fine sweet earth and truffle aromas. Such a ripe rich core of berries and plum, but not heavy, there is some floral fragrance here too. Rich, almost voluptuous palate with coffee and a great depth of fruit, the silky tannins do add structure and the freshness is surprisingly good, with a lovely long, sweetly focused finish. (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2003 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 92/100Beautifully dark and meaty with lovely rich berry fruits. Spicy and broad with lovely richness of fruit. Good tannins and some autumnal notes to the fruit. (UK)
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 91/100A huge step up in elegance, complexity and purity with extremly pretty spicy red pinot fruit aromas that introduce supple, sweet and opulent flavors that remain precise and beautifully well balanced. An altogether lovely wine that combines power and elegance with first class cellar potential. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" 1985 - Wine Spectator - March 1988 - 89/100Despite light color, it has jammy, racy intensity, lean in structure, crisp tractive wine.
- 1972 Corton Grand Cru "Clos de la Vigne au Saint" - Tom Cannavan's Wine Pages - March 2009 - 89 points:Quite a subtle nose, but coffeeish warmth and a touch of raisin slowly reveals itself. The palate has lovely fruit still, with a bit of weight and velvety depth. Lacks a bit of length and drying a little. 89/100
- 1964 Corton Clos de la Vigne au Saint - Jancis Robinson - July 2010:This had lasted wonderfully well. Mid ruby with a very pale rim. Sweet and rich and smells as though it still needs to open out a little. Lovely richness on the palate. Rich and dusty. Not that much nose but no decay. It became richer and richer in the glass even though it's still lively and transparent.