- RegionCôte de Beaune
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilLimestone and scree
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 11-13°
- Home to some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet and Bâtard-Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the 216 hectare geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. According to the history books, the village of Puligny gained its name from Puliniacus, a Gallo-Roman military encampment. The Montrachet aspect was added in the last century to stress the consistently excellent quality of the wines produced in the local vineyards.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 15% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Puligny-Montrachet 2010 is pale yellow in colour with golden highlights and a powerful nose of almond, grilled bread and apricot. On tasting, it is balanced with notes of hazelnut and a light smokiness. Nice length on the finish.
- Food PairingPoached-eggs in white wine sauce - Provence style dorade - ham wrapped veal - Chaource cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 90/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 89/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 2020 - James Suckling - 92/100 pts
This has the subtlety, stature and elegance that we expect from a Puligny-Montrachet. Wonderful interplay of delicate pear fruit with chalky acidity on the medium-to full-bodied palate. Quite some tannin at the rather bold finish. Drink or hold.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2020 - Jancis Robinson - 15,5/20 pts
Floral, lighter and fresh stone-fruit character. Concentrated and long on the finish. Appealing but doesn't appear to be much of a bargain. (AWH) Drink 2022 - 2025
- Puligny-Montrachet 2018, 92/100, James Suckling
Lovely sliced apples and pears with some lemon-drop character. Medium body, delicious fruit and bright acidity that frames the wine nicely. Drink or hold.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2018 - 90 pts - Wine Spectator May 2021
This white is fresh, evoking apple, butterscotch and floral aromas and flavors. Open and approachable, it's allied to lively acidity and leaves a tactile impression on the finish. Drink now through 2024. — BS
- Puligny-Montrachet 2018 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 91/100Yeasty, reductive funk still plays on the nose of this wine, expressing as much flintiness as earthiness. The palate comes in with rounded softness, a mellow juiciness that still reverberates with seemingly suspended yeast. This expresses youth and the generosity of the warm vintage. Structure becomes apparent on the finish.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Puligny-Montrachet 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 92/100Very attractive flinty notes, across grapefruit and lemon. This has plenty to like. The palate is a very energetic and fresh with an array of ripe peaches, a thread of citrus and plenty of round, fleshy texture. Strong wine. Drink or hold.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2017 - Wine Spectator - USA - 90/100
A lean white, this reveals lemon, floral, baking spice and anise flavors. Trim and focused on the vibrant finish. Best from 2020 through 2024.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2016 - Neil Cammies - U.K - October 2019Aromas of smooth creamy, vanilla tones to the white peach fruits, but not overblown partly due to the 15% of new oak which leaves room for freshness on the palate and a touch of lemon citrus across the finish.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 91/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 92/100Aromas of cooked apples, lemons and crush stone follow through to a full body, which is layered and ripe with beautiful fruit. A long and flavorful finish. Transparent and vivid. Fine, phenolic tension and texture. Drink or hold.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 91/100
This wine is ripe with yellow fruits and apple acidity. The richness of the year is balanced by crispness, minerality and delicious fruitiness. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 88/100
There is a mildly phenolic character (think nut or olive oil nuances) to the petrol, apple and floral-scented nose. The medium-bodied flavors possess a bit more vivacity to the detailed and nicely concentrated flavors that possess slightly better depth and persistence but also noticeable warmth. 88/2020+
- Puligny-Montrachet 2015 - James Suckling - April 2017 - 92/100
A little tropical and aromatic with mango and ripe-apple character that follows through to a full to medium body, linear acidity and a lemon-sorbet and pineapple finish. Drink now and enjoy.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 15/20
- Puligny-Montrachet 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 90/100
An elegant perfumed, syle, this white features lime blossom, citronella, apple and butterscotch flavors, singed with smoky vanilla and mineral accents. Still a bit firm on the finish. . Best from 2018 through 2024. 1790 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 91/100This wine is pure and fruity, with a strong, tight line of minerality. It is perfumed with apple and grapefruit flavors and a light touch of wood, with acidiy at the end. Drink from 2017.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 90/100
An appealing and cool nose offers up notes of citrus, spice, lilac and pear nuances. There is once again good energy to the finer if less rich middle weight flavors that possess more evident minerality on the beautifully textured, saline and lingering finish.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2013 - Wine Spectator - June 2016 - 91/100
Opulent, sporting honey and spice-tinged peach and melon flavors. Balanced and open, with good cut underneath. Stays persistent, delivering lingering honey and spice accents. Drink now through 2022.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2013 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 88/100
A pungent nose mixes notes of wood, floral and pear aromas. There is fine volume to the mouth coating and vibrant middle weight flavors that exude a fine bead of minerality onto the ever-so-mildly edgy finish. (...) 2018+. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2013 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2015 - 88/100
With spice and wood right up front, this wine is toasty and rich. It has a creamy texture along with bright acidity and a generous body. The wine, with its smooth, ripe aftertaste, is of course young. Drink from 2017. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 92/100A
white with layers of ripe fruit and mineral undertones. Very aromatic and
pretty. Medium to full body, bright acidity and a clean, long finish. Drink now.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 88/100(Just bottled) (...) There is good freshness and verve to the lightly mineral-driven middle weight flavors that possess a fine sense of balance on the delicious and well-balanced finish. If this can add more depth than my score presently foresees, it could be overly conservative as this is really pretty. 2018+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 15.5/20Ripe grapefruit juice. Solid. Drink 2014-2018. UK
- Puligny-Montrachet 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 89/100This attractive village wine has ripe fruits as well as a more steely texture. Wood flavors give smoothness that rounds out the wine and enhances the yellow fruit flavors. Drink now. Online Exclusive (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 88/100There is good richness to the relatively concentrated middle weight flavors that display a lovely mineral streak on the opulent, round and sappy finish. This is agreeably dry and offers slightly better depth. 2016+
- Puligny-Montrachet 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16.5/20Oaky on the nose but creamy too and a touch of orange peel. Minerally, zesty and long. By Julia Harding MW. Drink 2015-2021.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 87/100A brash white, with honey and apple flavors holding court. Coarse in texture, displaying spice notes on the finish. Drink now through 2016. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 90/100 This is complex and ripe but also mineraly and very structured. It offers many facets of the village: its richness and its strong sense of terroir. Bright, clean and fragrant on the finish. By Roger Voss (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 89/100Mostly floral aromas that display hints of white orchard fruit and wet stone. There is good depth and detail to the medium-bodied flavors that possess reasonably good volume and excellent length for a villages level wine. Latour always seem to outperform with this particular cuvée and it has done so again in 2010. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 89/100A top note of mint and fresh-cut grass graces this ripe, tropical fruit-flavored white, which is soft, fading delicately on the finish. Drink now through 2017. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 89/100A very light touch of reduction diminishes only slightly the appeal of the detailed and quite stylish nose of acacia blossom and white orchard fruit aromas. There is good vibrancy and a hint of minerality on the delicious, round and satisfying flavors that possess good punch on the balanced and focused finish. A lovely villages. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16/20Attractive savour, perhaps from low-key oak influence but the wine is not aggressively oaky. Racy and appetising. One of the better value Louis Latour whites? Quite forward though. Drink 2010-2013. (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2008 - Wine Spectator - December 2010 - 88/100Creamy in texture, this white wraps its breadth around lime, peach and hazelnut flavors. More impressive up front, with moderate length. Drink now through 2014. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2010 - 88/100Steely in character, offering minerality, the fruit ripe melon and pear. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound.com - Issue 39 - July 2010 - 88/100While this can't match the Baudines for aromatic elegance, it's no slouch given its villages status, offering up notes of rose petal, lemon and a hint of pain grillé that can also be found on the very generous, succulent and supple middle weight flavors that possess lovely intensity and fine finishing punch. If this can add depth with 2 to 3 years of bottle age, my score might be viewed as a bit too conservative. 88/2013+
- Puligny-Montrachet 2007 - Burghound.com - July 2009 - 87-89/100Here the nose is troubled with obvious reduction and SO2 dominating the nose though the middle weight flavors carry all of the typical elegance of Puligny as the mouth feel is quite fine for a villages wine with good punch and cut on the lingering finish. Solid if not sensational quality. 2012+
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet- Wine Advocate- December 31st 2008- 86-87 points:The Latour 2006 Puligny-Montrachet (assembled in tank when I tasted it) features apricot tinged with caramel and the bitterness of the fruit kernel; an expansive, creamy, rounded but persistently piquant palate impression; and a moderately persistent, unruffled finish.
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet - The Tasting Panel (USA) - January 2009 - 91 points:Creamy and bright with ripe fruit and smooth texture; dense, complex and balanced.
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet - Wine Enthusiast - October 2008 - 88 points:Elegant, structured and mineral, this is an excellent wine at the village level, with its green fruit and its promise of ageing. A pure crisp green aftertsate.
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet - Bruce Sanderson, Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 - 86-89 points :Opulent, full of apricot and hazelnut notes (86-89, non-blind).
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 87 points:A discreet nose of spiced pear and acacia blossom that is nicely refined for a villages level wine precedes pear-infused middle weight flavors that are delicious and as refined as the nose, all wrapped in a fresh, pure and acceptably long finish. Perfectly good if not distinguished. 87/2009+
- Puligny-Montrachet 2006 - Jancis Robinson - February 2008 - 17/20Spicy, slightly cedary. Creamy soft texture and already approachable. Drink 2009-12. (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 2005 - Wine Spectator - August 2007 - 88/100Ripe and bursting with apple, peach and melon notes, this white is open and eager to please. Juicy and mouthfilling, with a touch of oak on the finish. Drink now thorugh 2012.
- Puligny-Montrachet 2005 - Burghound.com - July 2007 - 88/100An attractively elegant nose of white flower, lemon and orange peel gives way to rich yet still notable tight flavors that offer an underlying minerality and plenty of finishing vibrancy. 2009+
- 2004 Puligny Montrachet - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 88 points :This is really quite aromatically distinguished with a classic Puligny nose of white flower, spice hints and nuances of white pear and green apple that dissolve into round, forward and rich medium weight flavors that possess good mid-palate fat and lovely mineral streak on the solidly long finish. I like the style here as it's very Puligny in character.
- 2004 Puligny Montrachet - Wine Spectator - December 2006 - 87 points :Fine, ripe lemony fruit, with a firm structure and apple and honeysuckle notes. Nice balance and length. Drink now through 2008.
- 2003 Puligny-Montrachet - Burghound.com - September 2005 - 87 points :A gently wooded, ripe fruit nose serves to highlight the mouth coating, dense and slightl sweet middle weight flavors that offer good peristence if not much refinement. There is however a pretty touch of minerality as well as vanilla hints present on the acceptably long finish. 87/now+
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet - Burghound.com - July 2004 - 88 points :Beautifully elegant and quite fine with delaited white flower fruit aromas and a touch of honeysuckle on thenose, followed by understated middle weight flavors that possess both lovely purity and a sappy, persistent finish. I very much like the style here and each of these tree villages wines have disinctly different characters. While this is not qualitatively better than the Meursault, I prefer the style. 88/2007+
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet - Irsh Independent - April 27th, 2003 :Puligny-Montrachet is a wine that needs some ageing and this one, though showing potential, will certainly yield greater delights in a couple of years.
- 2001 Puligny-Montrachet - Wine Advocate - April 23rd, 2003 - 88 points :The Puligny was not only recommendable, but excellent! Assorted herbal teas (vorbena, linden and chamomile) are intermixed with minerals and white flowers in the aromatic profile of the 2001 Puligny-Montrachet. Light to medium-bodied, ample, and broad, it sports a pear, apple, and spice-flavored character. It has admirable depth off fruit, a silky texture, and a long, expressive finish. Drink it over the next 3-4 years. By Robert Parker (USA).
- 2000 Puligny-Montrachet - Wine Enthusiast - August 2002 - 88 points :This wine sees onl 10-15% new oak, wich allows the gritt peach and tangerine fruit flavors to shine through, dressed up by hints of toasted hazelnuts. White peaches and a powered talc texture give the impression of richness without excess weight. Finishes long, with notes of mineral and citrus.
- 1996 Puligny-Montrachet - Wine Advocate - April 30th 1998 - 85-87 points.Displaying floral and stone aromatics, the Puligny Montrachet is a silky, medium-bodied, mineral-rich, and fat wine. Projected maturity : now-2001