Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"La Garenne"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree.
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home to some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Chevalier-Montrachet and Bâtard-Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the 216 hectare geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. Situated just above "Champgains", on marl and limestone soils, the vineyard of "La Garenne" benefits from an ideal south-easterly exposure. In ancient French 'La Garenne' means a wood surrounded by walls reserved for the lord of the manor for hunting of small game in particular rabbit (the origin of the expression 'lapin de garenne').
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteWith a lovely yellow colour, this Puligny has hints of fresh almonds and butter on the nose. A few more years of cellaring are needed.
- Food PairingMeunière-style sole - shellfish - foie gras - poultry - cheese.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne” 2008 - Wine Spectator - December 2010 - 89/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2010 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er "La Garenne" 2021 - Bill Nanson Burgundy Report - January 2023
A narrower aromatic - but with such finesse - 50% new oak - but I don't see it! Also a classically fresh Puligny of energy and tension - slowly adding extra dimensions of flavour as the wine moves and melts over the palate. Finishing more modestly in terms of power but not in terms of ultimate length - it's a much calmer finish. Very good wine! Been bottled for 1 month.
- Puligny-Montrachet "La Garenne" 2018 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 92/100Notes of wet stone and fresh Mirabelle make for a welcoming nose on this wine. A tropical whiff of fresh pineapple lends a sunny, generous note. The palate confirms this with its rounded, almost honeyed juiciness, expressing the vintage but also the locale in its wonderful limestone depth. Concentration and freshness become apparent on the finish.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Excellent"
A deep nose, of concentrated and ripe yellow citrus. Gas. This is more open and mouth-watering. Complex, less overtly sweet, more mineral finishing. Excellent.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - June 2019 - 90/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 94/100
As it was in 2015, this is one the most exciting whites in the Latour portfolio, made with purchased grapes from one of Puligny's higher and cooler sites. It really bears the stamp of its terroir: fresh, stylish and pithy with focused, citrus-tinged flavours, some chalky freshness and real verve. 2019-24
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 88/100
The mouth feel of the medium weight flavors is lush to the point of opulence while delivering acceptable depth and persistence on the sappy finish. I would be inclined to drink this after only two or so years of cellar time as it risks becoming heavy with time. 88/2019+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 94/100
Made with purchased must rather than grapes, this is one of my favourite Latour whites in 2015. It's a classic, almost textbook Puligny showing a lovely combination of scented, finegrained oak, pithy acidity and jasmine and citrus rind flavours. The underlying leesy weight adds some texture to the mid-palate. 2018-23 (UK).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 93/100
This wine has all the tight minerality of the appellation, surrounded by delicious, ripe yellow and white fruits. The wood aging is still there although balanced with the richness and the intensity of the wine. It is going to develop well. Drink from 2020.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 92/100
This is one of the few wines in the range to display anything other than discreet wood treatment and even here it is by no means overt as it easily allows the mostly floral and essence of pear aromas to be appreciated. I very much like the attractively textured and highly seductive middle weight flavors that exhibit more evident minerality on the powerful and impressively long finale. This too should be approachable young.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2013 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2015 - 93/100 - Cellar SelectionThis is a delicious wine with fresh fruits that are crisply embedded in balanced acidity, melon and orange zest flavors.The wine has structure, minerality and a tight texture that contrasts with all this fruitiness. The finish is intense with acidity. Although the wine could be drunk now, it will be better from 2018. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2012 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 92/100
Lovely weighty nose - quite plush for a Puligny in a way, with nuts and orchard fruits, but then little hints of blossom and waxiness. Long and full of flavour, a racy pithy acidity and lots of pure, fresh, crystalline fruit, that has a mineral and salt character as well as the fullness. (UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet "La Garenne” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 89/100 Fresh, cool and pure aromas of acacia blossom and Granny Smith apple scents. There is good volume to the appealingly textured middle weight flavors that exhibit a light minerality on the moderately complex and persistent finish. I like the balance here and if this can add depth in bottle this might merit a higher score. 2016+
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 89/100A big, plush white, exhibiting candied apple, lemon and spice flavors. With notes of butterscotch and spice on the finish. For fans of the style. Drink now through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 90/100A very restrained nose of lemon peel, wet stone and acacia blossom hints display a top note of anise. There is good richness and volume to the solidly well-concentrated flavors that possess good mid-palate fat that is buffered by the moderately firm acid spine that supports the persistent finish. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 90/100A bright, toasty wine, with the ripe fruits of the vintage and characteristics from the wood giving extra richness to this finely structured, mineral-textures wine. (USA)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 90/100A pungent green fruit and dried rose petal nose is followed by citrus and stone suffused flavors that possess a generous and fleshy mouth feel, all wrapped in a delicious and seductive finish. This doesn't quite have the complexity of the best of these 1ers but it's certainly attractive in its fashion. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne” 2008 - Wine Spectator - December 2010 - 89/100Rich and textural, featuring layers of peach, grapefruit, and mineral flavors. There's ample power, and this picks up a savory note on the finish. Drink now through 2016. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2010 - 92/100A very mineral-textured wine, with a stark contrast of ripe yellow fruits, sweet vanilla and an open final flavor. The wine is certainly packed with flavors, dense, the steely edge likely to soften over the next 2-3 years. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2007 - Wine Spectator - 2010 - 90/100Starts out subtly, but gains speed with lemon cake, apple and mineral flavors, matched to a vivid structure. Balanced on the racy side, with a nice build-up to the long finish. Best from 2012 through 2023. 165 cases made.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" 2007 - Burghound.com - July 2009- 89-91/100Brioche, green fruit and acacia blossom aromas of considerable elegance and purity introduce detailed, delineated and energetic middle weight flavors that culminate in a dry, crisp and palate staining finish. This is much like the Hameau de Blagny in that the understated and very pure delivery is most attractive and the only nit is that one could wish for a bit more depth. 2013+
- 2006 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne"- Wine Advocate- December 31st 2008- 88-89 points:Latour’s 2006 Puligny-Montrachet La Garenne from purchased juice involving several long-standing contracts is another fruit-forward, ripe, succulent exemplar of the vintage, but with smoky, toasty, stony, and brown spice inflections (no doubt from the site as well as the barrel) to add interest. I suspect it will be best enjoyed over the next 2-3 years.
- Puligny-Montrachet "La Garenne” 2005 - Burghound.com - July 2007 - 89/100This is relatively cool, refined, airy and reserved with subtle brioche and green fruit aromas leading to supple, silky and punchy flavors that are delicious and pure. 2010+
- 2004 Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 91 points :Good ripeness and minerality. A firm stoniness to the detailed and slightly edgy flavors that build in intensity to the explosive finish. Lovely juice.
- 2002 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru “La Garenne” - Decanter - August 2005 - 3 stars :Spicy oaky nose. Invigatoring. Rich, juicy, well-integrated oak, light toastiness, tangy, fruit is reined in, very mineral finish. Very good length. 2-12 years.
- 2000 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "La Garenne" - Decanter - February 2003 - 4 stars :Mineral and minty. Lovely mineral flavours combined with ripe midweight fruit. Dry, with lovely balance. 2-10 years.
- Send by email
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Your pdf has been send with success.