Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru"Les Suchots"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationVosne-Romanée Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilIron-based clay
- Average yield38 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential10-12 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Vosne-Romanée, famous the world over for its Grand Crus, also produces some Premier Crus capable of competing with the best. The Premier Cru vineyard of "Les Suchots" is recognised as being the prime candidate for any potential elevation in the appellation of Vosne-Romanée to Grand Cru status. It is located just to the north of the greats such as "Romanée Saint-Vivant" and "La Romanée Conti", the soil is very similar and there is much in common between the wines.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteBlack-cherry in colour offering a complex and smoky nose of raspberry, strawberry and liquorice. On the palate the oak and tannins are still ever-present but there is beautiful structure with great length.
- Food PairingBeef "Mironton" - rabbit with chanterelles - venison with cranberries - mature cheeses
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 90/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "les Suchots" 2019 - The Wine Advocate - 89/91 pts
"The 2019 Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots wafts from the glass with aromas of sweet wild berries, petals, warm spices and toasty new oak. Medium to full-bodied, layered and lively, with youthfully firm tannins that assert themselves on the finish, this is also a success chez Latour."
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "les Suchots" 2018, 95/100, James Suckling
Lots of blackberries, mushrooms, oyster shell on the nose,together with hints of spice and smoke. Full, tight and four-squared with a beautifully framed palate of ripe dark berries, spices and dried mushrooms. Very persistent. Try in 2023.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 91/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 93/100Blackberries and black tea with wet earth and roses on the nose. Medium-bodied, tight and focused with silky tannins and a long, flavorful finish. Shows focus and beauty already. Better after 2021.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 95/100A very classic high-end Vosne-Romanee with deep black fruits on the nose. Multifaceted and very beautifully balanced. A really long, refined finish. This is already very seductive. Drink or hold. This has a couple of decades ahead of it.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 90-93/100
Bright glowing purple. The nose is discreet but the concentration of fruit is relatively explosive in the mouth, dark and juicy, then firm tannins behind. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 93/100 - Cellar Selection
This is a solid wine with its dark tannins and structure from a vineyard close to some of the greatest Grands Crus. It is concentrated, showing the density of the appellation. There is a basic richness to this wine with its ripe black fruits. It is developing slowly and has a fine future. Drink from 2022.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 89/100This is aromatically more elegant as the wood treatment is more fully integrated and thus better allows the red currant and Vosne style spice aromas to be appreciated. There is good delineation to the cool, restrained and sophisticated middle weight flavors that possess better balance on the dusty and mildly austere finale. 89/2020+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 89/100A markedly spicy nose of plum, dark berries and soft floral hints precedes the supple, forward and seductively round middle weight flavors that possess medium depth but fine length on the balanced finish. The tannic spine is a bit firmer here as well and this should benefit from up to a decade of cellar time. 2019+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2010 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 93/100
Interesting aromatics - far less orthodox in a way than the Chaumes, with more lifted character, more perfume of truffle and game, and herby notes. The palate is flooded with sweet fruit over espresso, the oak ripe and richly toasty, but the fruit matching it well with its sweetness and density. Do juicy and sweet in the finish, but dry with creaminess to the texture, tannins and a good acidity, which arguably could be higher, but which does enough to leave this hedonistic and enjoyable. (UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 90/100This is also quite spicy if a touch less elegant with red and blue pinot fruit, plum and a background note of wet stone that also infuses the rich, generous and relatively full-bodied flavors that are supported by firm but not hard tannins, all wrapped in a velvety and mouth coating finish. Lovely if not as complex as the Petits Monts. 2017+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots" 1996 - Wine Spectator - May 1999 - 93/100Beautiful for its ripe, rich fruit and velvety tannins, this full-bodied red Burgundy caresses the palate with its toast, mineral, smoke, game, cassis flavors, and exits with a graceful bow. Best from 2003 through 2010.