Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru"Cailleret"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationChassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Chassagne-Montrachet is located to the south of Puligny-Montrachet in the Côte de Beaune and is one of Burgundy's greatest white wine appellations. "Cailleret" is widely believed to be one of Chassagne-Montrachet's best Premier Cru vineyards. It benefits from its rocky, stony hillside location and excellent exposure, which allows its grapes to gain perfect maturity. The name "Cailleret" comes from the word 'caille' meaning stones.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOf a beautiful pale yellow colour our Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" lays out scent of acacia flowers, honey and toasted almonds. Round on the palate with beautiful citrus notes on the finish. Nice tension.
- Food PairingCharcuterie - fish - shellfish - goats cheese.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2021 - Bill Nanson Burgundy Report - January 2023
Some weight of aroma to balance the freshness - less width than many but there's an ease and purity to this nose that's very inviting. Oh - mineral, cool flavoured, there's some structure but more of an architecture to the shape. Slowly melting delicious flavour over the palate - silky-smooth with some finishing floral extras. Ooh - such great potential here - as a minimum it's excellent, but I suspect there's even more to come! One week in bottle.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 2020 - James Suckling - 94/100 pts
A rich and texturally complex Chassagne-Montrachet with very ripe mirabelle and Amalfi-lemon character. The pronounced, salty minerality on the medium-bodied palate interlocks very well with the touch of fine tannin and silky freshness. Excellent aging potential. Drink or hold.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2020 - Wine Spectator Insider - August 2022 - 93/100
Though rich and mouthfilling, this white is hallmarked by the energy and drive it gets from the vivid acidity. Reveals lemon, pear, baking spice and butterscotch flavors that linger on the airy, almost ethereal finish. Best from 2023 through 2030. - B.S.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Intensely flinty nose that's still very youthful, lovely citrus aromas (from blossoms to candied fruits) emerging as it aerates in the glass. Medium-bodied, but tightly structured, this is a serious wine built for the long-term. Drinkable now, but best from 2023.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2018, 92/100, James Suckling
A rich Chassagne with layered ripe apples, honey and stone. It's full-bodied, yet creamy and refined. Some dried-apple and mineral undertones. A candied-lemon and stone aftertaste to the fruit. Drink now.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er "Les Caillerets" 2018 - Tim Atkin - January 2020 - 90/100
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2018- World of Fine Wine - March 2020 - 92/100
Pale lemon, a greenish tinge. Aromatically engaging, properly tense and vibrant, with light apple, quince, and freshly ripe pear, lightly leesy but positive, no sense of being overworked. Dense, quite doux for the site, thanks to the warmth of the vintage, but there is good concentration and still enough tension, which should be ratcheted up once the wine has been filtered and bottled. (Neil Beckett, cask sample)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2018 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 91/100
Offering up notes of citrus oil, fresh pastry and dried white flowers, the 2018 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets is medium to full-bodied, satiny and open-knit, with a generous, charming profile. It will drink well young.
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Cailleret" 2018 - Jancis Robinson - January 2020 - 16/20
Cask sample. Light spice and citrus nose and more stony/mineral than the Puligny Chalumaux. Rounded and gentle on the palate. (JH, UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 -94/100Impressive, mineral-infused lemon and peach aromas here, leading to a palate that has a fresh, fleshy and very taut feel. Elegance with power, super length and piercing drive here. One of the best Latour whites from 2017.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 15.5/20
Mid straw colour. Some freshness and vigour on the nose. Drink: 2019 - 2024 (cask sample)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2016 - Burghound.com - June 2018 - 90/100Fine volume yet also reasonably good delineation to the middle weight flavors that culminate in a slightly dry and short finish.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 93/100
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017Hmm - a little vibration in the aroma here - I already know that this is going to be good! Supple, really bubbling with fine, fresh complexity - width of flavour too. A lovely wine and a more forward and communicative wine but not finer than the Perrières.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 92/100
There is better complexity to the pretty nose that combines notes of petrol, resin, pear, apple and lavender. The more vibrant and intense flavors evidence better minerality as well that continues onto the layered, persistent and more well-balanced finale. Latour always seems to do well with this wine and 2015 will not break that string of successes. (89-92)/2021+
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 93/100
This stony, mineral wine is still way behind in its development. It is crisp and tight in texture, with refreshing acidity that lifts the white fruits with lime highlights. It's a full wine that will develop well. Drink from 2019.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 91/100
Pretty and fresh aromas of citrus and white flowers.There is good zip to the well-detailed and more obviously mineral-driven flavors that aren't quite as concentrated on the focused if slightly less complex finale.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 90/100
Rich in texture, offering ripe flavors of apple, peach, melon and spice. Good acidity keeps this focused, with fine length. Drink now. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2013 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2015 - 94/100This wine is rich and soft with acidity rounded out by ripe melon and apple fruit flavors. The background is more structured, tense with apple skins and minerality. Packed with acidity at the end, the wine is crisp, tight and demands aging. Drink from 2019. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 95/100A
dense and layered white that more resembles a red with a phenolic texture and
beautiful ripe fruit. Full body, velvety mouthfeel and a long flavorful finish.
Muscular and enticing all the way. Grand cru quality here. Drink or hold.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2013 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 92/100A notably ripe but agreeably fresh nose offers up notes of dried yellow fruit, white flowers and petrol scents that are also trimmed in a subtle application of wood. There is fine detailed to the intensely mineral-inflected middle weight flavors that possess a refined mouth feel before terminating in a lingering, balanced and solidly complex finale. This should drink well both young and with age on it. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Fine complex wine"Slightly more floral nose - high-toned and very pretty. Volume with energy and complexity - candied fruit and good acidity. I only find real minerality in the finish, but this is a fine and complex wine- I like it very much.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 92/100An ever-so-mildly exotic nose offers up notes of spice, Asian style tea, peach and apricot. There is excellent volume to the delicious, round and mouth coating medium weight plus flavors that possess plenty of dry extract that buffers the moderately firm acidity on the complex, saline-inflected and impressively persistent finish. This balanced effort should be approachable young yet also reward mid-term cellaring. 2019+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Cailleret" 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 92/100A highly expressive and admirably pure nose displays aromas of ripe pear, peach and spiced mango that give way to rich, intense and solidly well-concentrated flavors that brim with both minerality and palate coating dry extract on the attractively precise and delicious finish. This is classy juice and worth a look. 2017+
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Cailleret" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16.5/20Cask sample. Fragrant. Bright, tight and zesty with concentration and drive to a long finish. Drink 2015-2021. By Julia Harding MW.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 90/100Thick with honey, lime and baking spice flavors, this viscous white flashes power and a touch of heat. Concentrated, with honey and spice accents lingering on the finish. Best from 2014 through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Cailleret" 2010 - Wine Spectator - January 2013 - 90/100Thick with honey, lime and baking-spice flavours, this viscous white flashes power and a touch of heat. Concentrated, with honey and spice accents lingering on the finish. Best from 2014 through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2010 - Burghound.com - June 2012 - 91/100There is excellent detail and verve to the finely delineated and pure medium-bodied flavors that possess good depth on the reasonably dry and solidly persistent finish. I very much like the balance here and if more depth can be added in time, my score may be on the conservative side. 2016+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5/20Appetisingly bright green fruit. Balanced, correct, smooth, stylish. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret” 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 91/100A restrained and distinctly elegant aromatic profile presents pure, airy and relatively high-toned white flower, stone and dried yellow fruit aromas that are in keeping with the surprisingly rich and fullbodied flavors that retain a fine sense of cut and copious underlying material as there is lovely concentration to the textured, precise and seductive mouth feel, especially on the powerful and long finish. Overall, this is not quite as refined in the mouth as it usually is but it's still an attractive effort. 2015+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 17/20Aerien wafting aromas typical of Cailleret— fine delicate, without loss of intensity. By Michael Edwards (UK).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2009- Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16/20Some delicacy on the nose. Very rich on the palate. Heavier and fuller than many Caillerets but a well-made wine. Just slightly fat. Drink 2011-2015. (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret” 2008 - Wine Spectator - December 2010 - 92/100Intriguing hints of fog and baking bread mark this rich white. Lemon cake and a hint of orange follow up, and this stays persistent through the lingering finish. Drink now through 2022. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound.com - July 2010 - 91/100An impressively elegant nose of menthol, citrus and orange blossom aromas complements perfectly the stony, strikingly intense and very pure flavors that evidence a very fine minerality on the palateetching finish that delivers excellent length. A classic example with really lovely transparency. 91/2014+
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Cailleret" 2008 - Tennessean.com - "beautiful persistence"This 1er Cru has a pale golden color and is characterized by a bouquet of fresh butter, brioche and flowers. Flavors of honey and resin create a fat wine that is very round with beautiful persistence in the mouth.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2007 - Burghound - July 2009 - 90-93/100A highly expressive and broad nose features notes of straw, white flower, lemon zest, stone and a hint of underbrush, several of which can be found on the detailed, minerally and gorgeously intense mediumbodied flavors blessed with ample dry extract that buffers the firm acidity and really coats the palate on the wonderfully long finish. This is a classic Cailleret and the class of the entire range of 1ers. 2013+
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2006 - Wine Enthusiast - October 20008 - 92/100Pure minerality here in what is a very youthful wine. It is initially light with touches of stone fruits, but then white currants and structure come through, followed by a burst of acidity. This will certainly age 5-10 years. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2006 - Wine Spectator - June 24th, 2008 - 89-92/100My favorite.Peppery accent, pastry, lime, mineral notes and fine balance. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 89-92/100A very ripe yellow fruit nose, particularly peach and apricot, merges into equally ripe mineral-infused medium full flavors that possess better delineation and much better dry extract levels on the intense, long and palate staining finish. This is lovely and a wine that will benefit from an extra year or two of cellar time. 2011+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2005 - Financial Times - January 2007 - 16,5/20
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" 2005 - Wine Spectator - August 2007 - 91/100Apple and pear flavors grace this elegant white. Has intensity, with the structure taking over midpalate through the finish. Spice and citrus notes complete the aftertaste. Best from 2009 through 2020.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret” 2005 - Burghound.com - July 2007 - 90/100Like the Morgeot, this is quite ripe, indeed to the point of being exotic with notes of mango, pineapple and melon trimmed in moderate oak that continues onto the rich, opulent and refined flavors that still manage to reflect the hallmark minerality of a fine Caillerets. This delivers the solid intensity but not the elegance I'm used to seeing here though it's still well made and attractive if a bit atypical. 2010+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- 2004 Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 91 points :The gorgeous high-toned white fruit aromas full range displays their considerable nuances, which serve as the perfect introduction to the mineral-infused, firm and much finer middle weight flavors that possess superb detail and ample finishing intensity. This is a really impressive effort and matches the best of the Puligny entries here. Excellent quality.
- 2004 Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Wine Enthusiast - November 2006 - 90 points :Ripe, open and packed with melon and tropical fruit flavors; enticing drinkability.
- 2003 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret” - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 89 points :This is quite generously oaked with plenty of vanilla and wood spice notes with round, thick, intense and nicely mineral flavors that offer excellent complexity and a satisfying if not especially elegant finish. A solid effort mainly because this has retained a fine sense of balance despite the density though it's carrying more wood than I can personally warm up to. 2006+
- 2003 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret” - 2003's Wine Advocate Ratings - Issue 158 - 89 Points :This wine exhibits a nose of star anise and toasty minerals. Medium-bodied, lush, and generous in the attack as well as mid-palate, this satin-textured wine coats the taster's mouth with minerals and stones. Its personality slightly fades away before coming back for a vengeance in the finish, unleashing additional notes of candied minerals. Projected maturity : now - 2010.
- 2002 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Burghound.com - July 2004 - 89 points :Stylistically, this is quite similar to the Chassagne villages with its open and generous character but there is more vibrancy and as one would expect from Caillerets, plenty of racy acidity and an almost pungent and tactile minerality. A very pretty wine that will require a few years in the cellar to realize its ample potential. In short, this is lovely stuff. 89/from 2007+
- 2002 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Wine Advocate - February 26th, 2004 - 93-94+ points :The superb aromatics of the 2002 Chassagne-Montrachet "Les Cailleret" reveal butter cookies, almonds, anise and toast. This intense, sappy, deep, plush wine is concentrated and complex. Its gorgeous flavours are reminiscent of tree resin, poached, spiced pears and rocks. Anticipated maturity : 2005-2015.
- 2001 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Wine Advocate - April 23rd, 2003 - 89-90 points :Buttered pears can be found in the aromas of the medium-bodied 2001 Chassagne-Montrachet Caillerets. An ample, plush, seductive offering, it reveals copious quantities of pul-laden pears, apple compote, and spices; broad, deep, and silky-textured. It is a sexy, fruit-forward effort. Drink it over the next 5-6 years.
- 1999 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Cailleret" - Wine Advocate - February 28th, 2001 - 87-89 points :The 1999 Chassagne-Montrachet "Les Caillerets" display acacia blossom, spice, anise, and mineral aromas. Medium-Bodied, this is a broad, satin-textured, dense, spice-laden wine. It also possesses an appealingly long, supple finish. Projected maturity : now-2007.
- Send by email
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Your pdf has been send with success.