Beaune 1er Cru"Aux Cras"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationBeaune Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 20 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- The Beaune Aux Cras vineyard is positioned on the top of the hillside behind the town of Beaune on the site of an old quarry. Evidence of its history can be seen in its incredibly rocky soils and the name Cras which is derived from C(a)racos meaning rocky hill. The vineyard is made up of three terraces each contained by limestone walls; the sun's reflection on these walls and the additional luminosity it provides promotes the early development of the vine and its grapes.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteA powerful wine, Beaune 1er Cru Aux Cras 2006 unravels a floral nose with hints of menthol. With lovely roundness, it is very refreshing on the palate. Perfect to taste now and to drink through 2011. Tasted November, 2008.
- Food PairingSweet and savoury dishes - fish - Soumaintrain cheese
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 88-90/100
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2020 - The World of Fine Wine - 91-92/100 pts
Ripe citrus aromas and perfumed apricot on the palate. Louis Latour starts its harvest on this warm climat. I like the fresh mineral cut, which come up from under the fruit with a hint of salt to the finish. An inviting, well-ballanced example of white Beaune. 2024-28.
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2020- La Revue du Vin de France - 92/100 pts
Bottled in September 2021, this from the first plot to be picked. Volume, depth and lemon-like freshness are preserved in this ripe wine that shows a hint of pastry on the finish.
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2020 - Wine Review Online - USA - September 2022 - 93/100
Tough at least 85 percent of wine from Beaune is red, a small amount of white come from that appellation.
Latour's white Aux Cras is one of the best. And because white Beaune lacks the cachet of the big three, Meursault, Puligny- and Chassagne-Montrachet, the wines are less expensive. Combine those two facts with the additional fact that the 2020 vintage was superb for whites and you have an easy-to-recommend white Burgundy.
The 2020 Domaine Latour Beaune Aux Cras displays a graceful mineral aspect and riveting citrus vibrancy. Long and refined, it is satisfying even at this youthful stage, but has the requisite balance and verve to go the distance. Michael Apstein
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2019 - 89/90 pts - The World of Fine Wine
Quite a pretty floral aroma, after which it slides onto the palate softly creamy and rather viscous for Aux Cras. It quickly straightens, however, and comes through with a light and lively line of citrus freshness. 2023-2026
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2018 - Bill Nanson - Burgundy Report 2021
Deep, complex - a suggestion of oak too but of an intensity that brings complexity rather than dominance. Here a little reductive extra in the flavours - mineral too. Mouth-watering in a nicely zesty finish. That's another very good wine...
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 91/100Some quite fragrant oak-spice and woody aromas here with an array of melon and grapefruit. The palate delivers a very strong array of ripe peaches and melon with some more exotic, young mango character. Drink or hold.
- Beaune Premier Cru "Aux Cras" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 93/100Subtle smoke and toasted hazelnut on the nose of this wine are met with lemony vividness. The palate sweeps in with concentration and fruit, adding limestone coolness, freshness and depth. It's a wonderfully well-defined white gem with a lasting echo. Drink 2025-2035.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2017 - Wine Spectator - June 2019 - 90/100
A sleek, lemony version, sporting apple and spice flavors, this shows intensity, but could use short-term aging to integrate more fully. Offers a long, grapefruit peel-inflected finish. Best from 2020 through 2025. 200 cases made, 50 cases imported. — BS
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2017 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - "Pretty"
Aromas of pear, ripe lemons and oatmeal introduce the 2017 Beaune 1er Cru Aux Cras Blanc, a medium to full-bodied, satiny textured wine with a fleshy core of fruit and juicy balancing acids. It's a pretty white Burgundy that's showing well already. Drink 2018-2024 (cask sample)
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100Decadent aromas of camembert cheese, apples and lemons turn into sliced green apples. Medium- to full-bodied, tight and closed with a pretty finish. Some cream, too. Complex. Drink or hold.
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 87/100A notably ripe and mildly exotic nose offers up notes of dried yellow-fleshed fruit and andalwood hints. There is good richness and volume to the very round and suave flavors that are delicious though I find the finish lacks a bit of vibrancy. Note that the slightly flat finish may be due to fatigue from the recent bottling. 2016+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2011 - Sommeliers International - October 2015
Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2011 perfectly reflects the terroir. Formerly a limestone quarry, the soil worked in terraces perfectly expresses through mineral notes. By Nelson Chow
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5+/20Lovely creamy nose, stone fruit and minerals on the palate, very sophisticated and finishing with an attractive bitter flash. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15.5/20Drink 2010-2012 : Tingly. Quite rich nose. Hot finish. Just a bit fat. (UK)
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2008 - Burghound - Issue 39 - July 2010 - 89/100Discreet if not invisible wood highlights floral and lemon-lime aromas laced with wet stone notes that lead to very rich and round flavors and the naturally heightened ripeness levels of Les Cras are on display yet the finish is racy and energetic with fine balance and good length. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 90/100A monopole of 0.5 hectares. Ripe, sophisticated and forward with nice complexity. Light and gently toasty. A taut, fresh, expressive wine. (UK)
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 88-90/100A subtle touch of wood frames relatively fresh and certainly more elegant floral and green fruit aromas that introduce minerally and energetic flavors that also possess good mid-palate fat and fine finishing verve as well as much better overall depth. Lovely and crafted in an understated style. 2010+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2003 - Wine Sepctator - June 30th, 2006 - 88/100Openly knit and appealing. Peach, floral and butter notes are set againts a structure of acidity and tannins. It's on the soft side, with lift from grapefruit peel and spice accents on the finish. Drink now. (USA)
- 2002 Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" - La Revue du Vin de France - February 2006 :Medium pale robe. More of an exquisite bouquet, vanilla aromas, and ripe white fleshed fruit notes. Round palate, ample, exquisite fruitiness, luscious and open finale. A great deal of substance, well balanced. Can be enjoyed now.
- Beaune 1er Cru "Aux Cras" 2001 - Wine Advocate - April 23rd, 2003 - 88/100Radically different, the plump, ample, lush 2001 Beaune Cras displays oak-imbued smoky minerals in its aromatics. Supple, velvety layers of poached pears and ripe apples are found in its fruit-forward, creamy-textured, medium-bodied character. (USA)