Santenay 1er Cru"La Comme"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationSantenay Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 25 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- It is commonly agreed that the best vineyards of Santenay come from the northern end of the appellation, bordering those of Chassagne-Montrachet. The increased proportion of gravel, marl and limestone in the soil adds structure and richness to the grapes, which in turn produce a more powerful wine. On a gentle South-Eastern facing slope, the vines of Premier Cru "La Comme" produce grapes that reach full maturity. The name "La Comme" is the regional form of "Combe", because the vineyard is in the extension of the Combe of Saint-Aubin.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteA wine with a concentrated nose of ripe strawberries and cherries. It is sructured and well-balanced in the mouth.
- Food PairingRabbit terrine - beef in wine sauce - foie gras with apples - Brie cheese.
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2008 - Decanter Wine Awards 2011 - Bronze Medal
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2009 - Chris Kissack - January 2011 - 15.5-16/20A fresh ripe-raspberry red hue here, matched by attractive, fresh fruit on the nose, very suggestive of a vibrant, crunchy, raspberry compote character with touches of black cherry and vanilla cream. For the appellation this is certainly enticing, There is a touch of darkness to it as well, slightly sooty behind the summer fruit frontage. Fresh and bright, soft on the palate but with a moderate weight. There is acidity here although the fruit layer doesn't allow it to show through until the middle. A touch peppery though. I think for Santenay this is a really good effort (...) Let's hope it maintains this freshness and vigour when it gets into bottle. (UK)
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2008 - Decanter Wine Awards 2011 - Bronze MedalLeafy, red berry nose. Soft, plummy fruit. Earthy, firm acid and a full, malic finish. (UK)
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2005 - Wine Spectator - April 2008 - 88/10010 noteworthy Pinot Noirs from Burgundy's Heralded 2005 vintage: A rich, rangy red, silky and infused with a red cherry note. It's a touch gamy, with some firm tannins in the finish. It picks up earth and mineral on the aftertaste. Best from 2011 through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2004 - Burghound.com - April 2006 - "Pretty"Pretty and relatively high-toned red berry fuit with ann underlaying touch of earth merges into nicely detailed and mineral-infused barely medium weight flavors that deliver good complexity and better than average length. This is really very forward and will drink well early. (86-88)/2007+
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 2003 - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 88 pointsThe aromatic profile isn't quite as ripe and this is an elegant Santenay with an impressively complex nose displaying plum, cassis, warm earth and background hints of spice. The round, fresh and pure flavors are built around a solid mineral core with a touch of finishing rusticity. This is a really lovely effort and recommanded. 88/2008+
- Santenay 1er Cru "La Comme" 1999 - Wine Spectator - February 2001 - 94 pointsAmong the Pinot Noirs, a premier cru Santenay La Comme (90-94) was a winner : rich, chewy, sweet-tasting and a bit savage.
- Send by email
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
Recommend this wine
Your pdf has been send with success.
In the Wine Trade? Download Louis Latour App