Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru"Les Charmes"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationChambolle-Musigny Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- The 180 hectares of vines in the tiny village of Chambolle-Musigny are a soft interlude amongst the great vineyards of the Côte de Nuits. Chambolle-Musigny has 24 Premier Cru vineyards and it is "Les Amoureuses" and "Les Charmes" that are generally the most renowned. The poor limestone soil is well known for producing wines that are delicately scented. The Burgundian term "Les Charmes" refers either to an uncultivated plateau with little vegetation or the existence of wooded land covered by Hornbeam. In this case it refers to the former because Chambolle-Musigny "Les Charmes" is located beneath "Les Grandes Mûrs" that has long been an uncultivated field.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru « Les Charmes » 2019 presents a bright ruby color. On the nose, it expresses blackcurrant and cheery aromas with a spicy note. Silky tannins on the palate with Liquorice, almond and spice notes. Nice freshness.
- Food PairingDuck and truffle parmentier - woodcock salmi - wild boar and cranberries - capon - Brillat-Savarin cheese.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2021 - James Suckling - July 2023 - 93/100
At once perfumed and dark with stacks of sour cherries, black raspberries and licorice as well as floral notes. Yes, this has crisp acidity, but also very good depth in the 2021 context. Time has already started polishing these tannins and will no doubt do more for them so patience is recommended. Drinkable now, but best from 2024.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2020 - Burghound.com - 90/100
Background hints of wood and menthol can be found on the ripe and nicely fresh aromas of poached plum, black cherry and violet. The round, velvety and quite supple medium weight flavors immediately tighten up on the youthfully and sneaky long finale. This needs to add depth with mid-term cellaring though the underlying material appears to be up to the take.
- Chambolles-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2020 - The World of Fine Wine - 94-95/100
Distilled rasberry sweetness on the nose is reflected in the intensity of summer fruit on the palate. It's a real sweety, Charming and smooth, with a soft cloak of tannins. Nicely balanced and there is plenty of freshness and spice to follow through on the finish. 2026-32.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2020 - Jancis Robinson - 16,5+/20
12 months in wood, 40% new barrels. More power than expected from Chambolle - in a blind tasting I could easily have put this and the Vosne Suchots the other way round. Dark-berry fruit, touch of spice, grippy tannins at the moment. Should develop very nicely. (AWH) Drink 2023-2029
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2020 - Wine Spectator Insider - August 2022 - 93/1000
A prey red, almost as floral as it is fruity, displaying black cherry and black currant, violet and mineral avors matched to a silky texture. Offers intensity, harmony and excellent length. Best from 2024 through 2038. -B.S.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 90/100
A brooding nose of liqueur-like dark berries and violet scents precedes succulent, round and lush middle weight flavors that possess excellent mid-palate concentration thanks to the copious dry extract and also buffers the ever-so-slightly rustic finale. 2023+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 92/100
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Just a super wine"
Here is a beautifully pretty nose, super depth too. Supple, fine of tannin, mouth-watering intense flavours. The finish holds excellently - this is great. Just a super wine. Bill Nanson (UK)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only 2016 - 92/100
A tightly wound 2014, with black cherry, spice and smoke flavors fused to a steely backbone of tannins. There is sweetness on the finish, even if the fruit is muted today. Best from 2019 through 2030. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 91/100
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Ethereal and beautiful"
Deeply coloured. Not super overt, but really super beguiling. Really a subtly but beautifully complex nose. A wine without weight but super complexity and fine texture. Super airien - as the french might say - I say ethereal and beautiful - exceptionally fine finishing too. I love. (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 90/100Ripe and juicy, offering cherry, strawberry, floral and spice notes, all allied to an elegant profile. The acidity and tannins are well-integrated, and this finishes on the chalky, minerally side. Best from 2017 through 2028.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100A rich, round style, with rose, raspberry and light vanilla flavors. Dense yet smooth, showing fine balance and refined tannins on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2027.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2008 - Wine Spectator Insider - March 2011 - 90/100 A lean, sinewy version, with tightly wound cherry, strawberry and red currant fla¬vors. Though long, this lacks dimension and generosity today. Give this some time and you won't be disappointed. Best from 2013 through 2022. (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 89/100Rich and round, showing cherry and floral notes with fine tannins and bright acidity. This is ample, and just a touch candied in flavor, with fine length. Best from 2011 through 2017. 150 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Charmes" 2005 - Wine Spectator Insider - July 2007 - 92/100Rich, round and dense, yet vibrant and explosive, with cherry, raspberry, floral and mineral aromas and flavors. Intense, this builds on the palated, with great purity and harmony. Drink now through 2020. (USA)