- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 25 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield48 hl/ha
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 10-12°
- Lying in the north of the Mâconnais between Tournus and Mâcon, Viré-Clessé is one of Burgundy's newest appellations. It was formed to bring together the villages of Viré and Clessé which until 1999 bottled their wines as Mâcon-Clessé and Mâcon-Viré. The Chardonnay of Viré-Clessé is distinctly different from the appellations further to the south such as Pouilly-Fuissé and Saint-Véran.
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting Note
Sparkling a pale yellow color with flecks of green, our Viré-Cléssé 2012 impresses by its aromatic nose. Typical aromas of white fruits such as pear mix perfectly with pleasant notes of honey and muscat. On tasting, it reveals a lovely freshness.
- Food PairingCharcuterie - fish - goats cheese.
- Viré-Clessé 2012 - The Independent - March 22nd, 2014 - "Something for the weekend"
- Viré-Clessé 2021 - Vert de Vin - June 2023 - 15.5 / 91
The wine has a pale lemon-yellow color. The nose is delicate, floral and fruity. It expresses notes of exotic fruits (green mango, passion fruit), yellow melon, stone fruits (white peach, apricot), as well as tangy touches of crushed green apple, candied lemon zest and fresh yellow lemon. There are also notes of white flowers (acacia, lime blossom, a subtle touch of chamomile), and sweet spices (a hint of vanilla and clove) and toast. On the palate, the wine is unctuous, fruity, slightly spicy, with freshness and a pleasant biSerness. It expresses notes of yellow peach, apricot, fresh lemon, candied lemon, grapefruit, white flowers (acacia, lime blossom) and a delicate vanilla and toasted note. Nice refreshing acidity, good length on the bitterness of lime. A precise and fresh wine.
- Viré-Clessé 2014 - Sommelier World Wine Awards 2016 - May 2016 - Silver Medal
Lovely enticing nose, nicely balanced palate with reasonable length,' began Michael Fiducia of Drake's Restaurant, with consultant sommelier Emily Bonsor continuing: 'Ripe fruit with notes of melon, good complexity with rounded finesse. Great for drinking or with food.' (UK)
- Viré-Clessé 2014 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 88/100
Typical Macon nose with light honeysuckle and floral notes over creamy apple. Much lighter and fresher on the palate than the Ardeche, with still sweet and ripe fruit, but a flowing acidity and light-bodied, attractive freshness.
- Viré-Clessé 2012 - The Independent - March 22nd, 2014 - "Something for the weekend"The honeyed ripeness of this white Burgundy turns to a restrained peaches-and-cream flavour. Perfect with pan-fried salmon. By Anthony Rose (UK).
- Viré-Clessé 2010 - Western Morning News - December 14th 2013 - "True chardonnay character"Louis Latour Viré Clessé 2010 is a white burgundy of true chardonnay character, ripe, creamy and lush. Viré Clessé is the newest (1999) appellation in the Maconnais region of southern Burgundy, and one of its most distinctive. A lavish match for seasonal treats from shellfish to turkey. By Ned Halley (UK).
- Viré-Clessé 2010 - Wales Online - November 23rd, 2013 - "Wine to warm the heart this winter"The LOUIS LATOUR VIRÉ-CLESSÉ 2010 has blousy wood notes on the nose. Fleshy white fruits in the mouth with buttery chardonnay adding weight and texture but still maintaining its mineral structure. I remember drinking it on a sunny June day on Porthminster Beach in St Ives, but it works just as well as an elegant addition to any winter supper table. By Neil Cammies (UK).
- Viré-Clessé 2010 - Express Newspaper - December 1st, 2013 - "An appealing balance"This is at the more affordable end of the white Burgundy spectrum but it tastes expensive, with ripe peach and pear fruitiness. There's an appealing balance between rich fruit and freshness, and the bottle would also look great on the table. By Jamie Goode (UK).
- Viré-Clessé 2009 - Wine Spectator Online - June 2012 - 87/100There's weight to this white, along with melon and pear flavors. Hangs in there with moderate acidity and a grapefruit aftertaste. Drink now. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Viré-Clessé 2007 - Jancis Robinson - July 2009 - 15/20Fresh and fruity. Drink 2009
- Viré-Clessé 2007 - Burghound.com - July 2009 - 87/100A gentle touch of wood sets off fresh aromas of green fruit, floral notes and straw nuances that precederound, delicious and easy to like flavors that possess nice punch and persistence. This is attractive for what it is and fashioned in a frank ‘what you see is what you get' style. 2010+
- 2006 Viré-Clessé - Decanter - UK - October 2008Decanter World Wine Awards: Commended
- 2006 Viré Clessé - New Wines Imbibe - Nov-Dec 2007 :Pale yellow in colour. Lemon meringue and icing sugar dominate the nose. Lovely rich mouthfeel with sweet, ripe, white peach fruit. Soft texture and well balanced with lovely citrus acidity. Good value.