Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru"Les Damodes"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationNuits-Saint-Georges Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- "Les Damodes" is situated on the northern part of the Nuits-Saint-Georges appellation, just to the south of the premier cru appellations of Vosne-Romanée. The vineyard name "Les Damodes" comes from "Dame" meaning lady. Legend says that there were fairies that inhabited this rocky hillside above the village of Nuits-Saint-Georges, once covered by quarries and woods! But more likely it was the presence of rocky forms that looked like tall ladies in long dresses that gave the parcel its name. Known locally as "les Dames Hautes", "hautes" (meaning tall), hence the pronounciation has become "damaudes" then "damodes". Planted on a parcel with an easterly exposure, the vines grow on poor, limestone soils. Elegance and finesse perfectly characterize this wine.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2017 has a deep ruby color unveiling a spicy nose with clove, nutmeg, black cherry and toasty notes. The mouth is ample allying cherry and liquorice aromas. Silky tannins and impressive fresh final.
- Food PairingRoasted leg of mutton - entrecôte with shallots - mature cheeses
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 91/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 91/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2016 - Burghound.com - April 2018 - 91/100
Excellent size, weight, and richness to the mouth coating medium weight plus flavors that are shaped by moderately firm tannins...
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 93/100
Lovely black cherry on the nose. The same lively and pure fruit is abundant on the palate, held tight by firm, fine tannin, supported by ample, taut freshness: great balance and harmony. The plumpness and concentration is very lasting. - Anne Krebiehl MW
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16+/20Drink 2020-2030
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 92/100
Glowing mid purple. Dark cherry kernels, quite lifted. This has very good intensity, classy fruit which contains both red and black notes, good hillside freshness to it. Long fresh finish. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 92/100
A big firmly structured wine with solid tannins and black-plum-skin texture, the wine is rich and dense. Its fruits are balanced by the concentrated tannins and by the sense of restrained power. (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 92/100
There is excellent intensity to the mineral-driven and powerful middle weight plus flavors that also possess fine mid-palate concentration, all wrapped in an austere, rustic and built-to-age finale. Patience definitely required. 2027+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 90/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only 2016 - 90/100
Packs a punch with black currant, blackberry, spice and violet aromas and flavors, all the while staying silky and firmly structured. Fine length. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 90/100
This wine is structured and firm, with some bitterness. Acidity and red-currant fruits bring out the freshness of the year while still needing time to develop. The wine is concentrated and tight at the end. It will take time to be ready, so don't drink before 2022.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 92/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 92/100
This is inexpressive to the point of being all but mute and only aggressive swirling coaxes notes of plum, violet, earth and spice to reveal themselves. The sleek and muscular middle weight plus flavors possess good power and punch while delivering very fine length on the stony, robust and rustic finale. This is very Nuits in character and patience will be required. /2024+
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2013 - Wine Spectator - May 2016 - 93/100
Juicy and harmonious, exhibiting cherry, raspberry, floral and chalky, stony aromas and flavors. Racy and persistent, leaving cherry, berry and mineral elements etched into the long finish. Best from 2019 through 2033.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 90/100Here too strong menthol minimizes the appeal of plum and purple fruit that is
softly interlaced with earth and sauvage hints. The supple, round and seductively textured middle weight flavors possess a
subtle minerality on the dusty, rustic and notably firm finish that offers a good length.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2013 - Burgundy Report- December 2014 - "Elegant wine"Medium-plus colour. High-toned pretty aromatics with flowers and a slowly growing depth of fine aroma. Round but less ‘big' - seemingly lots of weight here and a growing intensity of fine, slightly spiced fruit. Without denigrating, this is a more elegant wine to drink today versus the power of the Cortons!
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 89/100 (UK)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 92/100This boasts wild cherry, strawberry and floral notes, backed by a firm, harmonious structure. Taut, with lovely balance and a long, resonant finish. Shows fine complexity and expression of place. Best from 2019 through 2035.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 89/100Like several of the wines in the range in 2012 there is plenty of menthol character to the earthy liqueur-like aromas of plum along with a distinct sauvage element. The very supple and forward medium-bodied flavors exude a fine minerality on the vibrant and utterly delicious finish that offers good persistence. 2020+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes” 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 90/100Firm in its tannins and with a sense of power, this full-bodied wine has great fruit along with wood and licorice flavors. This complex and fruity, wine is generous and ready to age. Drink from 2017.-R.V.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 91/100There is good volume and plenty of mid-palate concentration to the impressively complex and velvet-textured flavors that are shaped by ripe tannins and fine length. 2017+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - October 2013 - 89/100Opulent for the vintage, boasting cherry and raspberry flavors, with a fleshy texture and fine tannins. Needs time to integrate fully. Best from 2015 through 2024. 150 cases made.
- Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5/20Sweet oak in full effect on the nose. Juicy red fruit, nicely smoothed-out tannins, soft and plump. The oak might be too much for some, but I think it works well. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2009 - Decanter - December 2011 - 15.88/20Plum, earth and minerals. Compact and muscular with a minerally, sleek tannic grip. Charming red berry, earthy fruit and a good finish. Promising. (UK)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2009 - The Star Online - March 2011:Complex layered wine with minerals, flower petals, orange peel , sour plums, caramelised fruit and biscuits. Lively, medium dry tannins and long. By Ed Soon.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16.5/20 Drink 2012-2017: Light cherry red. Smudgy, rather fungal nose. Very juicy palate that is lighter than one might expect but has no specious sweetness. Real freshness. (UK)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2008 - Wine Spectator Insider - April 2011 - 91/100 A beautiful expression of sweet rasp¬berry, black currant and mineral flavors, backed by a firm, lively structure. Intense and linear, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit and stone. Best from 2014 through 2024.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Damodes" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2010 - 90/100There is a voluptuous edge ti thus generous wine. It has rich flavors, some strawberry and plum juice. The final extreme freshness shows through the layer of firm tannins. For aging over 4-5 years. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges "Les Damodes" 2008 - Jancis Robinson - 2010 - 16/20
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - April 2010 - 88-91/100A discreet touch of wood sets off a slightly sauvage nose that displays both red and blue berry fruit, warm earth and an attractive spiciness that introduces generous, round and naturally sweet middle weight flavors that possess solid depth and length on the mouth coating finish. (88-91)/2016+
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 90/100From purchased grapes, the Vosne side of Nuits. Pale cherry colour. Refined cherry and berry fruit with some nice structure on the palate. Hints of earth and cherries, finishing spicy. Bright and midweight and with some elegance.
- Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 89-91/100A discreetly spicy, earthy and mildly sauvage nose that is primarily from the red side of the spectrum introduces attractively rich and detailed middle weight flavors that display a subtle touch of minerality on the delicious, vibrant and solidly persistent finish. 2013+
- 2006 Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru "Les Damodes" - Burghound - April 2008 - 88-90:An extraordinarily fresh, spicy and expressive red and blue pinot fruit nose that offers up very subtle animale notes are in keeping with the nicely rich, full, supple and round flavors that posses fine depth and length if not top flight focus. There is enough here that it's possible this could surprise to the upside.