Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru"Les Chatelots"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationChambolle-Musigny Pemier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Chambolle-Musigny is one of the smaller appellations of the Côte de Nuits, and apart from a 1.6 hectare plot of Chardonnay in Musigny, exclusively produces red wines. In addition to the Grand Crus of Bonnes-Mares and Musigny, there are 24 Premier Cru vineyards. The name "Les Chatelots" refers here to the Latin word castellum meaning water tower and refers to the water retaining properties of this site's soils when the Grône floods. The limestone soil is renowned for producing wines that are delicately scented and well-balanced.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2017 has a ruby color and an elegant nose composed of blackcurrant and undergrowth aromas. The mouth is very delicate with silky tannins. The finish reveals blackcurrant hints.
- Food PairingDuck and truffle parmentier - woodcock salmi - wild boar and cranberries - Brillat-Savarin cheese.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2020 - La Revue du Vin de France - 91/100 pts
This fairly vigourous wine has already been bottled. Well constructed and smooth, it shows nicely ripe fruit, a bit on the sweet side. The finish seems rather warm and lacking in freshness.
- Chambolles-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2020 - Wine Enthusiast - 91/100 pts
This fairly vigourous wine has already been bottled. Well constructed and smooth, it shows nicely ripe fruit, a bit on the sweet side. (...)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2019 - 89 pts - Burghound April 2021
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - "Attractively stony finish"
Evident wood frames the very ripe aromas of plum, cassis and discreet spice nuances. The relatively fine and nicely detailed middle weight flavors that are less seductive but possess better backend balance on the attractively stony finish.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 93/100Amazing
aromas of dark berries such as blackberry and blueberry. Lots of stones too.
Full body, pretty austerity. It shows a wonderful firmness and finesse. So
gorgeous now. Drink in 2017.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots” 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 91/100Somewhat curiously, other than a bit less earth character this exhibits the same nose as the Damodes. However there is a slightly finer mouth feel to the mineral-inflected flavors where the supporting tannins are firm to the point of being borderline rustic finish. It would be fair to describe this as a robust version of Chatelots that will need 6 to 8 years of cellar time.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Really super!"Very deep colour. A discreet but elegantly modest nose. Ouf! This is super silkily-textured - wide, lots of intensity into the finish and mid-palate. No lack of tannin texture but really super!
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 91/100 (UK)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 90/100This expressive red exudes candied cherry, strawberry, spice and mineral flavors. The structure is firm, showing balance and a long finish. Best from 2018 through 2029.
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 15.5/20Pale crimson. Rather smudgy, sweaty nose. Light frank fruit. Drink 2018-2024 (cask sample) UK
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 92/100This is very elegant, silky and harmonious, showing raspberry, cherry, floral and mineral aromas and flavors, with fine and well-integrated tannins. The mineral element intensifies on the finish. Best from 2015 through 2023. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 89/100A very fresh and distinctly high-toned nose of red berries that includes raspberry and cherry plus wet stone nuances precedes detailed, energetic and beautifully well-delineated middle weight flavors that reflect a fine minerality on the balanced and understated finish. A Chambolle of grace and restraint. 2016+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2010 - Wine Spectator - March 2014- 91/100Silky and seamless from the start, with cherry, raspberry and mineral flavors, a base of firm tannins and a long finish. Best from 2016 through 2024. (USA)
- Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 93/100Smells like chlorine and bread dough, settling in to a pure cherry note on the palate. Harmonious and silky, with solid grip on the finish and fine mineral length. The nose should come around with time. Best from 2014 through 2028. (USA)
- Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 91/100A charming and rich wine, with tannins that nestle within the soft texutre. It is approachable, packed with ripe red fruits in an attractive juicy texture. The finish has enticing acidity. (USA)
- Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru "Les Chatelots" 2007 - Wine Spectator - 2010 - 90/100Starts out slowly, but this red offers raspberry, strawberry, licorice, spice and mineral aromas and flavors. They are matched to a chewy texture. A bit gruff for the appellation, but this is long and has density. Best from 2013 through 2025. 1,400 cases made.
- Chambolle Musigny "Les Chatelots" 2006 - Decanter - UK - September 2009 - 15.66/20Cranberry nose. Light, fresh, delicate, a bit simple, but has charm. One dimensional, but pretty and balanced. From 2010.