Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru"Les Petits Monts"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationVosne-Romanée Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and iron
- Average yield38 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential10-12 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Vosne-Romanée, famous the world over for its Grand Crus, also produces some Premier Crus capable of competing with the best. The iron-based soil just north of Nuits Saint-Georges is absolutely ideal for the growing of Pinot Noir. The grapes reach their maximum maturity and it is by means of a traditional vinification that the lively perfumes and great fruit character are released. This wine needs bottle ageing to fully realise its potential. The vineyard of « Les Petits Monts » is situated at the top of the hill, which explains its name.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis wine has a ruby-red colour and aromas of black fruits along with liquorice and coffee notes. Soft tannins on the palate, a strong and well-built wine.
- Food PairingBeef "Mironton" - rabbit with chanterelles - venison with cranberries - mature cheeses
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2019 - 92 pts - Burghound April 2021
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2019 - 92 pts - Burghound April 2021
"Subtle wood surrounds the much spicier aromas of cassis, black cherry, sandalwood and exotic tea. There delicious and solidly punchy medium-bodied flavors possess good mid-palate density that imparts a caressing texture, all wrapped in a lightly stony, serious and firm finale." 2031+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er "Les Petits Monts" 2018 - Tim Atkin - January 2020 - 90/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 90/100
Very generous if not dominant wood stops short of overshadowing the black currant, plum, spice, anise and pretty floral nuances. The middle weight flavors are not quite as concentrated, but they are slightly finer with equally good minerality... 2030+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2018 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 92/100
The 2018 Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Petits Monts unfurls in the glass with a deep bouquet of licorice, dark berry fruit, baking chocolate and toasty new oak. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and fleshy, with powdery tannins, ripe acids and a long, saline finish. This has turned out well.
- Vosnes-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Very good texture"
Large scaled, very good texture - micro-grained tannin, a nice freshness to the fruit too - it's obviously 2018, but without the excesses of the vintage - rather floral in the finishing flavours.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2018 - Jancis Robinson - Januaray 2020 - 16+/20
Cask sample. Deep cherry red. Scented with dark fruits, rock dust and sweet cherry, and just a little hint of vanilla. Rather too oaky on the palate, for now at least, so that the oak sweetness seems to clash with the more subtle fruit, but it should mesh in time. Dry, chalky tannins. (JH, UK)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 94/100
- Vosne Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2016 - - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 93-95/100
Not the deepest in colour but certainly a very classy lifted heady Vosne nose. Very fine, not over-done. This carries through on the palate, with a little sweet oak behind, attractive berry fruit, just enough acidity. Clearly the most exciting of their Vosne 1ers crus. (Tasted prior to bottling)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2015 - Wine Spectator - October 2017 - 93/100
Effusive, fruity aromas of black currant, violet, earth and stone mark this elegant, silky red. Vibrant and firmly structured, this reveals light hints of oak spice on the lingering finish. (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 91/100
Here the layered nose of various dark berries, tea, violets and spice elements is reserved to the point of being all-but mute. There is a lovely inner mouth perfume to the pliant but well-detailed medium weight flavors that possess ample minerality on the lingering finish that immediately tightens up. This is both classy and stylish though the finish makes clear that it's going to need a few years to unwind and flesh out. Worth considering. 2025+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 16/20
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17.5+/20
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petis Monts" 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only 2016 - 92/100
Blueberry and black currant flavors hold court here, with violet and spice notes in supporting roles. This is tightly wound and has grip, offering a lingering aftertaste of saturated fruit and burgeoning mineral. Best from 2019 through 2035. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 91/100
A deft touch of wood combines with a pretty and well-layered mix of red and blue pinot fruit, plum, spice and floral hints. There is excellent detail to the vibrant and mineral-laden medium weight flavors that are supported by notably fine-grained tannins on the long, balanced and mouth coating finish where about the only nit is a noticeable touch of warmth. /2022+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2013 - Wine Spectator - May 2016 - 92/100
A rich, powerful red, powered by pure cherry and mineral flavors. Dense and smooth in texture, but integrated. Somber today despite the core of fruit. Offers depth and length. Best from 2019 through 2033.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "complex"The aromas are more mineral; less effusive but more complex. There's a little more initial grain to the tannin,(...) a silky wine that has width, concentration and a beautiful mineral finish. Really yum! - Bill Nanson
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Petits Monts" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 90/100A slightly more deeply pitched nose features notes of cassis, plum and plenty of Vosne style spice nuances. The appealingly detailed and vibrant medium weight flavors exude a fine minerality that continues onto the delicious and persistent finish that displays a touch of youthful asperity. 2020+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 17/20Bright blueish crimson. Really rather splendid fruit overlays the Vosne freshness and zest with some emphatic but not excessive tannins on the very end. Promising. Quite persistent and pretty on the finish. Drink 2020-2030 (cask sample) UK
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 92/100This powerful, spicy wine offers structure and a thrust of wood. Firm and dark, as befits a Vosne-Romanée, it is densely powerful, full of black fruits that are already shining above the structure. Drink from 2017.-R.V.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les petits Monts" 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 90/100Here the nose is slightly cooler and definitely more elegant with a discreetly spicy nose of plum, violets, stone and wisps of soft earth. There is really lovely detail to the bright and vibrant medium-bodied flavors where the minerality telegraphed by the nose appears. The balanced and solidly persistent finish isn't quite as complex as that of the Suchots but the underlying material is such that my score offers the benefit of the doubt that it will develop in bottle if it's allowed sufficient time in the cellar.2019+
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16/20Sweeter and richer on the nose than the Aloxe. Dry, gentle fruit. 2015-2019. By Julia Harding MW.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2011 - Tim Atkin 2011 Burgundy Special Report - UK - 91/100
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 91/100This is aromatically quite similar to the Beaumonts but more restrained and perhaps a bit cooler as well. The flavors are more compact as well though the dense but fine-grained tannins are wellbuffered and this will probably age along roughly the same curve as that of its stable mate. Very good quality here and the linear and driving mineral-inflected finish is really quite serious. 2018+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Vosne Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2010 - Decanter - December 2012 - 95+/100
Stephen Brook: ‘Ripe, smoky cherry and raspberry nose. Medium-bodied but fresh and limpid; has great purity of fruit, lean and exquisite thanks to fine acidity; has poise and persistence. This is mouthwatering Pinot, with terrific length. Drink'
Anthony Hanson: ‘Open fruit, bright and vibrant; soft, creamy, rich wine, a lovely mouthful - gentle tannins, long finish.'
Jasper Morris: ‘Beautiful, pure, clear purple with a brilliant, fragrant, ethereal bouquet. Full and fresh yet fine-boned, predominantly raspberry fruit, many-layered and very persistent. Excellent.
Congratulations to Louis Latour for this beautiful wine. (...) Certainly the Petits Monts had a thrilling purity and elegance to it. Drink 2013-2035.'
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 90/100Perfumed wine, very ripe as well as structured, packed with fresh raspberry and wild strawberry flavors. The tannins are balanced within this sweet, rich wine. (USA)
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Petits Monts" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 91/100This is more obvious Vosne as the nose is overtly spicy with notes of soy, hoisin and anise adding breadth to the black pinot fruit and cassis infused nose. There is very good richness to the detailed flavors that exude a fine minerality on the firm, serious and lingering finish. This is both classy and refined. 2017+. By Allen Meadows (USA).