Chablis 1er Cru"Montmains"
- AppellationChablis Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilPortlandian and kimmeridgian limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Found on mainly kimmeridgian soil, made up of a mixture of clay, chalk and fossilised oyster shells, the Chablis Premier Cru vineyard of "Montmains" is widely regarded as one of the best Premier Cru Chablis. The soil particular to this region combined with the unique microclimate gives the wine its very specific flavour.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting NoteOur Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2020 has a brilliant pale yellow colour with beautiful green reflections. On the nose, it express a lovely citrus bouquet. Round and ample, this wine offers vanilla notes as well as marzipan which leads to a nice freshness in the finish.
- Food PairingShellfish - fish - charcuterie
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2008 - Decanter - July 2010 - 3 starsCreamy and mineral, quite lush, but with good steely core. Tight, ripe, very fresh and well-made. From 2010. (MR)
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2005 - Decanter - September 2007 - 3 stars Spicy nose, lime, hint of oak. Rich, plump, weighty, powerful and good acidity. Spicy, white pepper - a serious premier cru. 1-7 years.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 1997 - Wine Spectator - 2000 - 86/100Hard now but with a lush texture, offering ripe fruit and matchstick and earth aromas. Medium-bodied, with a chewy, tough finish. Best from 2001 through 2005. 1,250 cases made.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 1996 - Wine Spectator - May 1998 - 85 points :Supple and especially gentle for a '96 Chablis, with some melon, honeydew and lemon flavors. Medium-bodied. Drink between 1999 and 2001.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 1995 - Wine Spectator - Aug 1996 - 86/100Fairly rich, medium-bodied premier cru. Crisp and zesty, with complex fruit flavors and touches of honey, spice and cream on the long, balanced finish. Ready now.