Clos VougeotGrand Cru
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationClos Vougeot Grand Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 40 years
- SoilClay, chalk & gravel
- Average yield35 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential15-20 years
- Serving temperature 16-17°
- Starting in the XIIth century the Cistercian monks of Citeaux, owners of Clos Vougeot, cultivated vines here. They built the winery with four oak presses and the large cellar with capacity for 2000 barrels of wine. In the XVth century the "grand manoir" was built in the middle of the Clos and in the XIXth century all the buildings were restored by Léonce Bocquet. Clos Vougeot is the largest Grand Cru in Burgundy with 52 hectares of vines and over 80 different owners. The Clos itself is subdivided into many different localities.
- FermentationTraditional open-vats fermentation
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 100% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteDark ruby red with a powerful bouquet of cassis and liquorice. This is a big wine with great potential and will become a true classic. Tasted November 2010.
- Food PairingGame - rib-eye steak - roasted lamb - veal with morels - mature cheeses
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16/20
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 92/100
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 92/100
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2020 - Jancis Robinson - 15,5/20
Fine Clos de Vougeot with the power expected from the grand cru. Almost sweet in dark-fruit ripeness, this is structured and designed for the long haul. Firm, ripe tannins and vibrant acidity suggest this will drink well for a decade or more. (AWH), 100% new oak. Drink 2024 - 2035
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2019 - 95 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
A bold, generous wine that has everything you expect from a Burgundy Grand Cru. The delicate savory notes underline the ripe black-fruit character and the generous tannin structure. Long, sophisticated finish. Drink or hold.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2019 - 92 pts - Burghound April 2021
"A hint of herbal tea is present on the ripe aromas of plum, dark currant and warm earth. The supple yet reasonably precise middle weight plus flavors possess average volume yet good power on the youthfully austere finale. This caressing effort should be approachable after only 6 to 8 years of bottle aging." 2034+
- Clos de Vougeot 2019 - Wine Spectator Insider - 96/100 pts
A sleek and silky red, featuring cherry, black currant, floral and mineral flavors. Turns even more austere midpalate through the finish, with terrifc intensity and a long, well-delineated aftertaste, which echoes the fruit and mineral notes and picks up sweet spice accents. Shows superb length and finesse. Best from 2026 through 2047. —B.S.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018 - 95/100 - Wine Enthusiast, December 2020
Black-cherry hints on the shy nose of this wine seem compact, releasing in little bursts. The palate has an equally compressed body. It's well defined, rounded and elegant, luscious with ripe fruit. It dances on the tongue before bursting with freshness and aroma.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018 - 95/100 - Wine Enthusiast
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018, 95/100, James Suckling
Very attractive aromas of dried earth, strawberries and some fresh flowers. Full-bodied and tight with chewy, polished tannins and a rich, powerful finish. Yet it always remains polished and beautiful. Lovely overall balance here. Try after 2023.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018 - 93 pts - Wine Spectator May 2021
This is a lean, sinewy red, whose firm tannins offset cherry, strawberry and floral flavors. It has a burly side to the linear profile, yet should come around nicely with time. Fine length. Best from 2025 through 2043. — BS
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 92/100
Once again there is a lovely breadth of floral scents adding a touch of elegance to the mentholated aromas of spiced plum, dark cherry and warm earth. The relatively refined medium weight flavors possess good punch on the moderately concentrated flavors that exhibit hints of bitter pit fruit on the ever-so-mildly drying finale. 2030+
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 -
A vertical nose - high and low-toned, less width, faint spice and violets. Ooh that's fresh and driving, of-course it's ripe but less obviously a 2018 than most. Long, graphite accented in the finish. Proper wine, not austere but of-course for saving. Excellent!
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 91/100
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 93/100Aromas of smoke, leather and hints of asphalt and dark berries, following through to a full body, chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows well balanced tannin tension. Tasted before bottling. Drink after 2021.
- 2017 Clos Vougeot - February 2020 - Wine Spectator Insider - 94/100
A broad-shouldered, fluid red, boasting black cherry, blackberry, pomegranate and iron flavors. Muscular tannins shore up the finish as this plays out. Balanced and long, but angular today. All the pieces are in place for the long haul.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16+/20
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2017 - Burgundy Report, Bill Nanson - January 2019 - "Bravo!"
A blend of freshness and impressive depth of aroma. Ooh - that's super - juicy, with volume, depth, tons of energy, dark but puer fruit. Ooh that's simply great and so long too. Bravo!
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2016 - Wine Spectator - USA - February 2019 - 96/100 Pure black currant, black cherry, violet and iron flavors are the hallmarks of
this intense red. Shows balance between the silky texture and stiff spine,
which will take a few years to resolve. Ends with an aftertaste of sweet fruit
and spices. Best from 2022 through 2045. From France.—B.S.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2016 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - 92+/100
Aromas of ripe cherries, cassis, grilled meats, caramelized citrus rind and loamy soil introduce the 2016 Clos Vougeot Grand Cru, a full-bodied, broad-shouldered wine with a rich core of concentrated fruit, chewy structuring tannins and tangy balancing acids. This is a powerful, intense Clos Vougeot that has the substance to support sustained time in bottle.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2016 - April 2018 - Burghound.com - 91/100
The round caressing and surprisingly supple flavors possess good if not special density before tightening up noticeably on the delicious slightly dry and short finish.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2015 - Wine Spectator - October 2017 - 94/100
This is pure, exuding red and black cherry, earth, mineral and subtle woodsy notes. Dark and brooding, with excellent balance and length. (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2015 - Wine Spectator - July 2017 - 94/100
This is pure, exuding red and black cherry, earth, mineral and subtle woodsy notes. Dark and brooding, with excellent balance and length.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 92/100
A discreet application of wood sets off a complex combination of earth, rose petal, forest floor and very ripe liqueur-like red berry scents. The mouth feel of the broad-shouldered flavors is unusually refined though even so there is evident muscularity on the youthfully austere, serious and very firm finale. This is very Clos de Vougeot in basic character and like several of these grands crus, at least moderate patience is advised. 2030+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 92/100
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 94/100
From three different parcels in this large Grand Cru vineyard, this wine is dense and concentrated. Powerful tannins will develop into rich fruits with great intensity. This wine, with its weight, needs time. Drink from 2023.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2014 - Wine Spectator - Octobre 2016 - 93/100
Dense tannins make this red firm today, yet revealing sweet black cherry, blackberry and spice flavors up front. Broad and powerful, with a fresh, earthy finish. Best from 2019 through 2033. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 93/100
An almost invisible touch of wood does not interfere with the brooding and intensely earthy nose of agreeably fresh wild red berries, spice and plum aromas. There is excellent vibrancy and detail on the naturally sweet and equally earthy middle weight plus flavors that are shaped by relatively fine-grained tannins on the balanced and lingering finish that displays a hint of youthful austerity. This is not quite as firmly structured but it will still need at least some bottle age to round off the tannic edge. /2026+
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 92/100
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "A subtly brilliant CV!"
This starts very tight, just a few modest high-tones escape the glass. Width, rather elegantly shaped with modest tannin, mainly because it's so silky. But very much a fine complexity - indeed a super complexity, which I'll take over power any day. The finish is very lovely and very complex. A subtly brilliant CV! (cask sample) By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014- 93/100This dense version shows a hard edge, with dry tannins on the finish. The cherry and raspberry fruit shows an up-front sweetness, but this is monolithic overall. All the elements appear to be in place. Best from 2017 through 2030. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2013 - Wine Spectator - May 2016 - 90/100
Black cherry, blackberry, earth and stone flavors are fused to a steely structure in this red. Needs time to integrate, though this feels less concentrated than its peers. Best from 2019 through 2030.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 92/100Strong wood once again overshadows the earthy and fresh nose that is comprised of various red and dark fruit aromas. There is a relatively refined mouth feel to the middle weight plus flavors that culminate in a moderately
austere and lingering finish. This is youthfully awkward but there is solid underlying material that should allow for good future development.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2013 - The World of Fine Wine - 2015 - 16,5/20Lean raspberry nose but has some intensity and finesse. Medium-bodied and rounded, with light tannins, a bit confected from the oak. Quite spicy and long.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 94/100 (UK)The Louis Latour team used 30% whole bunches on the grapes they buy from two growers to make this more than decent Clos de Vougeot. Rich, plush and almost Vosne-Romanée like in texture, it's appealingly oaked, with plenty of succulence and flavour. Made in a crowd pleasing style. By Tim Atkin (UK)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 91/100A very pretty nose exhibits notes of red berries, damp earth, floral nuance and just enough wood to notice. There is a lovely sense of underlying tension to the well-detailed and solidly powerful medium weight plus flavors that possess good volume and drive on the moderately austere, dusty and mouth coating finish. I very much like the way this fans out on the lingering finale and the underlying structure suggests that 10 to 12 years of cellaring will be required to see this at its best. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20Mid crimson. Some life and quite exuberant fruit on the nose. Firm tannins. Difficult to see much real personality at the moment. Drink 2020-2028 (cask sample) UK
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 93/100The wine has the right weight and power. It comes from a blend of different parcels, bringing out the complexity of the vineyards. Black fruits are soft and generous, supported by tannins as well as licorice and wood flavors. At the end, fresher red fruits show.-R.V.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2011 - Wine Spectator Insider - April 2014 - 93/100This dense version shows a hard edge, with dry tannins on the finish. The cherry and raspberry fruit shows an up-front sweetness, but this is monolithic overall. All the elements appear to be in place. Best from 2017 through 2030. (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2011 - Allen Meadows- Burghound.com" - May 2013 - 92/100An earthy and reticent nose of ripe plum, cassis, dark raspberries and a hint of animale complements the equally recalcitrant medium weight flavors that possess plenty of punch on the well-delineated, balanced and overtly austere finish that displays excellent balance, depth and length. Like the Echézeaux, this also offers fine complexity though note that this too will require an extended cellar snooze.2023+
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2012 - 92/100A ripe and admirably complex nose of very fresh if reserved red currant and pungent earth aromas gives way to textured and relatively dense middle weight flavors that possess a sleek muscularity and plenty of underlying tension. The tannins are prominent but not rustic and the finishing impression is consistent with the classic austere character of a young Clos de Vougeot. 2022+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2010 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 91/100A ripe and admirably complex nose of very fresh if reserved red currant and pungent earth aromas gives way to textured and relatively solid middle weight flavors that possess a sleek muscularity and plenty of underlying tension. The tannins are prominent but not rustic and the finishing impression is consistent with the classic austere character of a young Clos de Vougeot. 2022+ By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100This is dense and chunky, with cherry, black currant, licorice and spice flavors. Muscular, showing balance overall and fine-grained tannins on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2030.
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 92/100Solid and powerful, with a very firm character, this shows the structured, concentrated side of the vineyard, with complex acidity cutting through the dark tannins. The wine is condensed and solidly based around a firm, dry core. (USA)
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16/20
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 92/100Concentrated, dense, with dark tannins. There is considerable power behind the rich fruit with its flavors of ripe strawberries and black cherries. (USA)
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 92/100A relatively high-toned nose of fresh red currant, raspberry and cassis hints leads to earthy and serious medium-bodied flavors that possess fine mid-palate density as well as excellent length on the moderately austere finish. While the mid-palate is supple, the tannins are present to ensure a long life. 2024+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Wine Spectator - May 2011 - 92/100A red full of black currant, spice and mineral flavors, this is austere and almost brooding, yet also pure and focused, with a bright structure driving the finish. Be patient. Best from 2014 through 2030. 100 cases made.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Wine Spectator - April 2011 - 92/100A red full of black currant, spice and mineral flavors, this is austere and almost brooding, yet also pure and focused, with a bright structure driving the fin¬ish. Be patient. Best from 2014 through 2030.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Decanter - February 2011 - 18/10Inviting notes of red cherry and raspberry fruit, vibrant and elegant. Complex and balanced with fine structure, and lovely fruit purity on the finish. By Christelle Guibert, USA.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2010 - 92/100Flowery and smoky aromas introduce a perfumed, ripe wine. Gentle at first, the tannins gradually show through, part of a solid texture that gives density. Fruit goes from damsons through black cherries and a layer of wild strawberry. For long-term aging. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - April 2010 - 92/100A notably floral nose also displays subtle spice and earth notes on the largely red currant, cherry and blue berry fruit aromas that merge gracefully into the delicious, serious and admirably concentrated big-bodied flavors that culminate in a youthfully austere and impressively persistent finish. Excellent quality and potential. 92/2025+
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2008 - Jancis Robinson - 2010 - 17/20Mid crimson. Perfumed. Positive.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2007 - Wine Spectator - 2010 - 92/100There's plenty of structure in this beefy red, but for now the flavors are well-submerged and this is tannic and tight. Hints of cherry, raspberry, spice and mineral suggest what the future holds. Best from 2014 through 2026. 65 cases made.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 92/100An earthy, serious and relatively tactiturn nose of underbrush suffused red and dark berry fruit that is followed by rich, full and relatively powerful and full flavors that are quite solidly structured in the context of the vintage while delivering impressive length on the youthfully austere finish. A classically proportioned Clos de Vougeot. 2015+
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 92/100This too displays very subtle wood influence on the dark berry fruit and earth-infused aromas that complement the finely detailed, supple, fresh, round and relatively accessible flavors, at least compared to what young Clos de Vougeot typically gives, all wrapped in a rich, balanced and deep finish that also displays moderate youthful austerity. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2005 - Wine Enthusiast - August 2008 - 90/100Firm and broad, this shows density rather than fruit, tannin rather than freshness. it goes for the dark side of Clos Vougeot... The juicy red fruit finish proomises richness later.
- Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 16.5/20Very dark crimson, fresh crackling fruit on the nose. Pretty sturdy and chewy on the palate. Like the Vosne, will the fruit ever triumph?
- Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 92/100This is a relatively elegant Clos de Vougeot with less youthful austerity and reserve than usual on the spicy and ripe earth suffused nose featuring red and black pinot fruit and violet aromas that lead to full-bodied and very firm but not hard flavors that are clearly built to age. Very fine quality here.
- 2003 Clos Vougeot Grand Cru - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 90 points :Noticeable wood spice highlights a gorgeously coplex nose of smoke, game, very ripe pinot fruit and warm earth aromas that lead to broad shouldered, intense and muscular flavors that display the classic young Clos de Vougeot charcter of finishing austerity. This is a big and dramatic wine that offers impressive complexity with excellent depth of material if not necessarily great elegance. 90/2013+