Meursault 1er Cru"Genevrières"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationMeursault Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilStony marl, jurassic limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Situated just south of Volnay and Pommard in the Côte de Beaune, Meursault is the most extensive southerly white wine commune of the Côte-d'Or. The perfect south-easterly exposure and the rocky and stony soils contribute greatly to the remarkable finesse of which the wines of Meursault are capable.'Genevrières' comes from 'genévrier' (juniper), a shrub with prickly needles and purple berries which enjoys the limestone soils of Burgundy. Many junipers were replaced by vines, hence the name of the juniper forms part of the name of many parcels of vines. The Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" is a great example of a fine Burgundy Chardonnay.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOf a pale yellow colour, the Meursault Genevrières 2015 has a floral nose with fresh almonds and vanilla notes. The mouth is frank, unveiling lemon flavours with nice freshness and persistence in final.
- Food PairingChicken in cream sauce - skate in brown butter - white truffle risotto - Epoisses cheese
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 91/100
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
A very successful 1er Cru Meursault with super-ripe pear and some delicate floral notes. Rich and suave with beautiful integration of fruit and oak on the medium-to full-bodied palate, the generous finish simultaneously fresh and silky. Drink or hold.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Les Genevrières" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - June 2020 - 89-92/100
The naturally exotic and cool nose speaks of Asian-style tea, various floral elements and lovely spice whiffs. The notably finer if less
concentrated and muscular flavors possess good precision and a subtle minerality that really builds as it sits on the lingering though mildly
- Meursault Premier Cru "Genevrières" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 93/100Lemon-scented oatmeal and creaminess promise richness on the nose of this wine. The palate delivers with rounded generosity framed with freshness and precision. Chalky depth is brightened by rich, lemon-oil freshness. Creamy smoke surrounds it all, providing rich unity. Drink by 2035.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2017 - Wine Spectator - USA - 92/100
An intense version, this is marked by a touch of herbs, highlighting the apple, lemon and toasty oak notes. Honey and hazelnut accents round out the flavor spectrum as this cruises to a long finish.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevières" 2016 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - January 2019 - 93/100
Aromas of buttered orchard fruit, lime zest, honeycomb and white flowers introduce the 2016 Meursault 1er Cru Genevrières, a medium to full-bodied wine that's satiny textured, pure and attractively delineated, displaying good concentration and depth at the core, and concluding with a long, precise finish. This is another unambiguously successful 2016 white from Latour. Drink 2018-2028
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2016 - Wine Spectator - November 2018 - 92/100
A mellow white, offering talcum powder, peach, vanilla and pastry aromas and flavors. Rich and open, with a lingering finish of toast and vanilla.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2016 - Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 91/100
Pale colour, grassy nose with a touch of verbena, some weight of fruit. This opens out very well on the palate, a good centre ground, good fruit to acidity ratio and some length. (tasted prior to bottling)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2017 - 91/100
There is good vibrancy to the delicious, supple and relatively refined medium weight flavors that also display a subtle minerality on the classy and persistent finish where a trace of sweetness emerges. 2021+
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 92/100
The bright structure blends with the creamy texture, allowing the peach, pastry and baking spice flavors to unfold as this reaches a lingering conclusion. Spice elements echo on the finish. Drink now through 2024. 120 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 92/100
A cool and elegant nose displays a vaguely exotic character to the fresh white orchard fruit, spice and floral suffused nose where there is just a hint of matchstick nuance. There is fine richness to the unusually dense flavors that exhibit ample minerality on the notably more complex and beautifully long finale. This is good stuff and worth considering plus it should drink well young but age well too.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2013 - Wine Spectator - June 2016 - 90/100
Subtle and vibrant, featuring apple, lemon and spice flavor, with an underlying hint of mineral. Balanced on the side of acidity, presenting a long, toast and spice-accented finish. Best from 2017 through 2027.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2012 - Wine Spectator - August 2015 - 92/100This white strikes an appealing balance between the creamy texture, bright structure and apple and lemon flavors. Sweet spice and a hint of mineral add depth as this lingers on the crisp finish. Best from 2017 through 2026.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2012 - Burghound.com - June 2014 - 90/100A restrained and naturally exotic nose features notes of white-fleshed fruit, acacia blossom and wet stone. There is both better punch and solid complexity to the delicious and attractively textured medium weight flavors that terminate in an agreeably dry finish. This understated effort is lovely and worth considering. 2018+. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16.5/20Deep gold. Quite honeyed nose. Broad and rich. A little slack in terms of structure. Easy and lightly herby and expressive of the vineyard. Drink 2015-2018 (cask sample) UK
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 93/100 (UK)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 90/100Lime, honeydew melon and honey notes move through this creamy white, picking up beeswax and clove accents as the long finish builds. Drink now through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Meursault "Genevrières” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 89/100The spicy and naturally exotic aromas of white flowers, peach, pear and herbal tea are both very pretty and fresh. There is fine detail to the delicious and lightly mineral-inflected flavors that deliver reasonably good depth and length. 2016+
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16.5/20Very cedary on the palate, fresh and zesty and long. Drink 2015-2020. By Julia Harding MW.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières” 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011- 90/100This offers a small step up in aromatic elegance with subtly, and attractively, spiced notes of citrus and, somewhat curiously, sauvignon blanc that merge seamlessly into rich, round and quite generous medium-bodied flavors that brim with an profusion of dry extract that buffers the moderately firm acid spine on the delicious and mouth coating finish. 2014+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2009- Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15.5/20Drink 2011-2015: Sweet, very ripe, with some almond notes on the nose. Hot finish. (UK)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2008 - Wine Spectator - November 2010 - 89/100Slightly candied, in an attractive way, like buttered popcorn and apple pie. A bit awkward now, before finishing on a more appealing butterscotch note. So give this some time. Best from 2012 through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - July 2010 - 91/100A wonderfully expressive nose of obvious harmony and grace that is spicy, exotic, classy and elegant marries into pure and rich flavors that possess fine volume and a bit more mid-palate fat with even better precision and more evident minerality. In sum, this is an extremely stylish and an altogether lovely effort. 91/2014+
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 89/100A fresh, lemon- and baking spice'flavored white, backed by lively acidity. This is a bit lean, and a tad sharp on the finish. Best from 2012 through 2020. 160 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" 2006 - Wine Spectator - 2009 - 88/100A round, opulent white whose lime, apricot and mineral flavors enjoy enough structure to stay focused and linger. Picks up some spice on the finish. Drink now through 2014. 200 cases made.
- 2004 Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" - Burghound.com - July 2006 - 90 points :An exotically spicy high-toned nose set off with background notes of toast and wet stone complements perfectly the ripe, opulent and extremely rich flavors that deliver real volume and possess a really lovely texture on the delicious backend. There is a really attractive limestone aspect to this This is very well balanced and already interesting.
- 2003 Meursault “Genevrières” - Burghound.com - October 2005 - 87 points :The wood is dialed up even more though not enough to completely hide the natural spice of Genevrières and leads to rich, extremely dense flavors that offer impressive levels of dry extract but here it’s almost too much as the finish is borderline heavy. This is an opulent, powerful and thick wine that for me lacks elegance though some may appreciate the sheer size and weight. 87/2006+
- 2002 Meursault 1er Cru "Genevrières" - Wine Advocate - February 26th, 2004 - 90-93 points :This wine sports a nose of white peaches and yellow plums. Expansive, ample, fleshy, yet refined, this fruit-forward, medium-bodied wine has a plush flavour profile packed with resiny minerals and poached pears. It should be drunk over the next 8 years.