Meursault 1er Cru"Poruzots"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationMeursault Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilStony marl, jurassic limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential6-8 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Located just South of Volnay and Pommard in the Côte de Beaune, Meursault is the most extensive southerly white wine commune of the Côte-d'Or. Surprisingly enough for an appellation of this quality, no Grand Cru exists, however the high quality of the Premier Cru more then compensates for this. The ideal southerly exposure and the Jurassic limestone-based soil of the Poruzot contribute to the growing of ripe, fruity clusters. The wine has a rich, nutty, buttery, elegant bouquet followed by mouth-filling fruit flavours and a long aftertaste. "Poruzots" is the diminutive of "Porroux" meaning "stony place", which well describe the soil of this climate.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThe Meursault 1er Cru « Poruzots » 2012 has a complex nose paired with notes of vanilla and dried fruits such as fig and banana. In the mouth it is ample with toasted almond flavours on the back-palate.
- Food PairingChicken in cream sauce - skate in brown butter - white truffle risotto - Epoisses cheese
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - 2020 - 91/100
There is an interesting top note of mint to the citrussuffused aromas of ripe green fruit and acacia blossom. There is good power and punch to the relatively supple and rounded medium-bodied flavors that culminate in a very dry, focused and bitter lemon rind-inflected finish that offers both better depth and persistence.
- Meursault Premier Cru "Poruzots" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 93/100Wood smoke and lemon peel mix deliciously on the lifted nose of this wine. The concentrated palate continues both notions but imbues them with a creamy, full-fruited and chalky richness that speaks of ripe Mirabelle plum and generosity. All this is framed in concentration and freshness for a bold, rounded wine. Drink by 2035.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 16.5+/20
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 92/100
A warm, inviting white, featuring juniper, wild herb, lemon and apple aromas flavors. Nut oil and spice accents chime in as this builds to a lingering finish. Well-proportioned and poised. Drink now through 2025. 60 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2013- Burgundy Report - December 2014 - "Super finish"fine nose here - of energy and Meursault-ness. Weight of Meursault flavour here and lots of flavour dimension. Seemingly good acidity but with a little mid-palate flatness like the PV - again a super finish though.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 93/100 (UK)
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 87/100Rich in texture, but firm and a bit shy on flavor, offering light apple and spice notes. Features a slightly bitter finish and a butter accent. Best from 2014 through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots” 2009 - Burghound.com - June 2011 - 90/100Mild reduction diminishes slightly the expressiveness of the otherwise ripe green fruit and grapefruit-suffused nose that complements well the relatively powerful and concentrated medium-bodied flavors that possess more complexity and a bit more length as well but at the cost of less refinement. A qualitative choice. 2015. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2008 - Wine Spectator Insider - September 29th 2010 - 90/100Supple and fresh, with a touch of spice complementing the apple, grapefruit and wax flavors. Picks up a mineral element on the finish, with a chalky feel. Best from 2012 through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2008 - Allen Meadows' Burghound - July 2010 - 89/100A fresh and bright mostly green fruit and earthy nose is trimmed in mild oak notes that are also reflected on the rich and powerful finish while in between, there is good volume and acceptable precision to the medium weight plus flavors. This is perfectly good if not especially distinguished for what it is. 89/2013+
- Mersault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2006 - Wine Spectator - July 2009 - 88/100Round and balanced on the soft side, with apple pie, pastry and a light grapefruit accent on the finish. Moderate length. Drink now. 500 cases made.
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2006 - Burghound.com - July 2008 - 90/100A fresh and vibrant green fruit nose is nuanced by hints of wood spice and roasted nut that continues onto the powerful, rich and muscled flavors that display an opulent texture, all wrapped in a dry and impressively long finish. This is really quite good and should drink well young. 2009+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Meursault 1er Cru "Poruzots" 2001 - Wine Advocate - April 23rd, 2003 - 84-85 points :Aromas of apple cider are detected in the 2001 Meursault-Poruzots. Atight, zesty, lively wine with apple flavors, it has refreshing, light-bodied character. This wine needs to be drunk over the next 18-24 months.