- RegionCôte de Nuits
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilChalk and limestone.
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 15-16°
- The village of Morey-Saint-Denis can be found just to the south of Gevrey-Chambertin and produces wines that are predominantly red - which were not distinguished from its neighbours until the strict application of the Appellation Contrôlée laws in the 1930's. The wines, on the whole, show a greater depth and concentration than those of Gevrey-Chambertin and their tannins are less forthright. They tend to be rich with lashings of red and black fruit character.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats. 100% malolactic fermentation.
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 20% new.
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted.
- Tasting NoteOur Morey-Saint-Denis 2021 has a dark ruby colour and a nose with notes of coffee, blackberry and amaretto. The palate is ample and fresh revealing notes of cherry and liquorice. It has silky tannins and a beautiful persistence.
- Food PairingGame - red meat - mature cheeses.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2020 - James Suckling - 94/100 pts
Restrained sour-cherry nose with subtle wet-earth nuances. Serious structure and concentration for a village wine. The truth is that this has the kind of depth that we expect from Premier Cru wines. Powerful finish with a meaty touch. Drinkable now, but best from 2023.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2020 - Burghound.com - 88/100 pts
Ripe and somewhat restrained aromas of red and dark raspberry are laced with more subtle hints of earth and spice. There is an appealing vibrancy to the sleek and nicely refined middle weight flavors that offer good length if only average depth, at least at present.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2020 - Wine Spectator - 93/100
Delivers expressive, enticing black cherry, black currant, violet and spice flavors on a velvety texture. Fresh, with rened tannins that are nicely integrated. shows fine balance and harmony. Drink now through 2035.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2019 - 88/91 pts - Burghound April 2021
"The palate impression of the medium-bodied flavors is both delicious and relatively refined while displaying better depth and persistence on the balanced finale. While there is a trace of youthful austerity, this should be approachable early on if that's your preference." 2026+
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 91/100 Top Value
A pretty mix displays notes of plum, dark pinot fruit and freshly turned earth. I very much like the vibrancy and detail of the acceptably concentrated flavors that possess lovely complexity on the balanced and sneaky long finale. This isn't especially dense, but I like the delivery. 2025+
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Bravo"
Hmm, that's an invitingly deep and round nose - of really inviting fruit. Supple, concentrated, layered. Delicious, a little less acidity but no lack of balance. Bravo.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 92/100This is very smoky and rich with lots of wet earth and dark fruit that follow through to a medium to full body, firm tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows some tension for the vintage. Just before bottling. Drink after 2021.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 92/100
The wine has density and a good structure. It also has the acidity that marks the vintage. Red-cherry fruits and a crisp texture are balanced by the firmer tannins and solid character at the end. (USA)
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017 - 91/100
Selected as "Top Value" Wine from the 2015 vintage
A ripe, pretty and well-layered nose displays a relatively elegant array of both red and dark cherry, raspberry, violet and a whisper of earth. I very much like the sense of underlying tension to the beautifully well-detailed and lightly mineral-inflected flavors that culminate in an ever-so-mildly austere finale. This is really quite good and worth considering. 2022+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2014 - James Suckling - January 2017 - 94/100
A delicious and very silky red with plums, dried strawberries and hints of lemon rind. Medium to full body, gorgeous texture and a long and flavorful finish. Needs three or four years to soften but very pretty already.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2014 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2016 - 89/100
This perfumed wine features ripe tannins and strawberry flavors. It is structured, with good concentration and acidity. The wine is developing well with the richness as well as line of fresher acidity. Drink from 2019.
- Morey-Saint-Denis 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only 2016 - 89/100
Black cherry, blackberry, mineral and earth flavors are allied to a dense, muscular structure in this red, which is balanced, if firm and compact now, with fine length. Best from 2018 through 2024. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Morey Saint Denis 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 91/100
An admirably fresh, pure and complex nose features mostly red pinot fruit, earth and violets. The energetic, detailed and attractively sleek medium weight flavors terminate in an agreeably clean and solidly persistent finish. This moderately firm effort could be approached young but it should also benefit from 6 to 8 years of cellar time. /2021+
- Morey Saint Denis 2005 - Wine Enthusiast - May 2008 - 87/100