Pommard 1er Cru"Epenots"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPommard Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- The village of Pommard is comfortably sandwiched between the town of Beaune and the village of Volnay. In contrast to the wines of its close neighbours, those of Pommard tend to be fuller, more tannic and expansive in the mouth, similar to those of the Côte de Nuits. This area was named "Epenots", coming from "épine" (thorn or prickle), as a result of the natural vegetation of the area which was bush-like and thorny. The "Epenots" is solid and firm in its youth and needs time to mature and mellow out before revealing its full glory.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, french oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" presents a deep ruby red color, the nose unveils liquorice, undergrowth and fresh mint aromas. Rich and ample on the palate with roundness and smooth tannins, it offers notes of mocha, blackberry and liquorice.
- Food PairingDuck confit - beef "Bourguignon" - mature cheeses
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2019 - The Wine Advocate - 90/92 pts
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Burghound.com - 91-93/100 pts
Ripe extract of plum is suffused with hints of earth, spice and an interesting wisp of black pepper. There is good richness, size and weight to the unusually refined medium-bodied flavors that possess a bit more mid-palate density, all wrapped in a seductive, lingering and sappy finish. This is very good.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
The dark-cherry and wet-earth nose with touches of dried lemon peel and dried herbs is really fascinating. Then comes the compact palate with none of the rusticity associated with this appellation. Long, bold finish that's very expressive. Drinkable now, but best from 2022.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2019 - 91 pts - Burghound April 2021
"A mentholated top note is present on the ripe aromas of earth-inflected poached plum and dark cherry. There is fine volume to the delicious flavors that possess better density as well as a seductive texture that carries over to the lingering finish that progressively tightens up as it sits on the palate. Lovely and worth checking out." 2029+
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2019 - The Wine Advocate - 90/92 pts
"Notes of sweet berry fruit, orange rind, warm spices, petals and loamy soil introduce the 2019 Pommard 1er Cru Les Epenots, a medium to full-bodied, lively and textural wine that's seamless and complete. A fixture of the range, this is a success."
- Pommard "Epenots" Premier Cru 2018 - 94/100 - Wine Enthusiast, December 2020
Touches of reduction, creamy richness and black elderberry combine on the subtle nose of this wine, promising dark allure. The palate delivers on the dense, velvety body where freshness is met with creaminess. Tart but ripe black cherry is dusted by dark chocolate in this tight, taut but expressive wine.
- Pommard 1er Cru Epenots 2018 - 94/100 - Wine Enthusiast
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2018, 92/100, James Suckling
Very pretty strawberry and raspberry aromas with hints of wet earth. Lovely purity of fruit overall. Medium-to full-bodied, with creamy and polished tannins and a flavorful finish. So attractive already. Drink or hold.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2018 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 92/100
The 2018 Pommard 1er Cru Les Epenots wafts from the glass with notions of raspberries, wild blueberries, licorice, rose petals and baking chocolate. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, rich and succulent, with a lively core of fruit and a charming, enveloping profile.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2018 - Bill Nanson - January 2020 - "Lots of volume"
Lots of colour. Fresh, classic fresh, direct shape of Epenots. Open, lots of volume - more about intensity than overt concentration. A very good finish.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2018 - Jancis Robinson - Januaray 2020 - 16.5/20
Cask sample. Deep cherry red. So different on the nose compared with the Volnay En Chevret: bright, scented red fruits, and just a touch of spice. Extremely refined tannin texture, restrained, subtle but long. Dry and stony on the finish. Elegant Pommard. (JH, UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 91/100
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 93/100This is very dark colored with lots of dried berries, olives and blackberries. Full-bodied, rich and layered. Juicy at the same time. Just before bottling. Needs four to five years to come around. Try after 2023.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2017 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 91/100
The 2017 has turned out well, wafting from the glass with a lovely bouquet of dark berries, baking chocolate, spices and soil tones. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, rich and nicely concentrated, having taken on additional depth and dimension with élevage.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16.5/20
Mid crimson. Firm with Pommard tannins and pretty charming fruit. Drink: 2024 - 2032 (cask sample)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2017 - Burgundy Report, Bill Nanson (UK) - January 2019 - "Great wine"
Such deep colour. Depth of aroma - dark-fruited and really very inviting. Big, energetic, mouth-watering - it would be juicy if it wasn't so concentrated. Great wine in the works here. (Bill Nanson, UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2018 - 93/100
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 92/100
The merest hint of cinnamon clings to the ripe cherry note on the nose. The palate reveals fleshy, deppe, full fruit countered by vivid freshness. What a bundle of joy, this almost is bouncy in its energy and fruit. - Anne Krebiehl MW
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100Another very impressive 2016 that lives up to the reputation of this famous producer. The firm structure that's typical for the appellation is married with great, black cherries. There is also enormous energy driving the very long finish. Drink now or hold.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16/20Drink 2019-2029
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - Burgundy Report - Bill Nanson - December 2017A tighter aromatic but with fine depth, very slowly opening pure fruit that's accented with spice. Big, mouth-filling wine of freshness and structure - then slowly growing flavor comes to the fore - this is melting and delicious flavour but secondary to the structure today - in 2 years it will be the other way round - it will be very good but it's hard today, despite a great finish
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 93/100
With the structure that is typical of Pommard, this wine also has a ripe richness from the vintage. The two together give a generous full wine with acidity and black-cherry fruits. Bold and ripe. (USA)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2015 - Wine Spectator Insider - August 2017 - 94/100
This red is expressive, exuding violet, black cherry, blackberry, spice and mineral aromas and flavors, with ample grip. Balanced, staying long and complex on the aftertaste. Best from 2022 through 2038.-B.S. - USA
- Pommard 1er Cru "Pommard" 2015 - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 17/20
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2015 - Tim Atkin - January 2017 - 91/100
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Excellent"
Fresh, open complex nose - very inviting - big in the mouth - lots of volume but no fat, just very impressive energy. Finishing with the same energy over again. A more mineral base. I find this excellent. Bill Nanson (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2014 - Wine Enthusiast- October 2016 - 91/100
This wine has both structure and ripe red-plum fruits. It is dark and dense, solid and with good acidity. A clear line of freshness promises a good future. This needs time, so don't drink before 2020.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2014 - Tim Atkin (UK) - February 2016 - 93/100
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2014 - Burgundy Report - January 2016 - "Excellent!"
Deep, inviting, gorgeous rather dark red fruit. Very silky, with a wide panorama of flavour. Growing complexity, a burst of seriously impressive flavour complexity that includes floral notes, long finishing too. Excellent! By Bill Nanson (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 91/100A background touch of wood easily allows the very deeply pitched aromas of forest floor, earth and dark pinot fruit to be appreciated. There is excellent concentration to the powerful full-bodied flavors that possess ample punch on the lingering if slightly edgy finish where a hint of bitter cherry appear. This frank effort is very Pommard-like in character and while it's not going to win any awards for refinement it certainly doesn't lack for character. /2024+
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots” 2013 - Burghound.com - April 2015 - 90/100
Very strong menthol aromas push the barely discernible notes of plum, earth and black cherry to the background. There is good density and power to the velvet-textured medium-bodied flavors that possess slightly better persistence on the once again slightly drying finish. While the balance isn't perfect this is still interesting. /2020+
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2013 - Burgundy Report - December 2014 "Intense"A little less colour. A beckoning, deeper aromatic - lovely again. Bigger, more intense and with lots of energy - really.There's tannin, but more of a textural drag than a grain. Fine high-toned, floral, fruit in the finish with a little dryness. Fine.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2013 - Tim Atkin - January 2015 - 92/100 (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "very good wine indeed"Again, the nose showcases very dark and pretty fruits, in this case it is faintly softened with a trace of creamy oak. (50% new barrels) There's more tannin but the cherry fruit is vivacious and black coloured. Certainly a bit less silky than the Volnay 1er Cru "En Chevret”, but very good wine indeed. - Bill Nanson
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 90/100A deeply pitched and markedly somber nose of earthy liqueur-like dark berry fruit aromas displays top notes of sandalwood. The seductively textured medium-bodied flavors possess a very round and velvety mouth feel that continues onto the concentrated and well-balanced finish. 2020+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16/20Light purplish crimson. Open, leafy nose. Lots of juicy fruit on the front palate and then it firms up and is quite tannic on the end. Seems to have quite a bit of energy but finishes very suddenly. Drink 2017-2024 (cask sample) UK
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 91/100 (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots” 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - September 2014 - 88/100With its tannins, the wine is firm, tight and dark. The black fruits flavors are just beginning to come through. It has power and structure and certainly needs to age. Drink from 2017.-R.V.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 91/100Supple and juicy, this is a graceful if dense style, with cherry, strawberry and spice flavors supported by firm tannins. Well-balanced, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit and spice. Best from 2016 through 2027. By Bruce Sanderson (USA).
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2011 - Allen Meadows - Burghound.com - May 2013 - 89/100There is enough wood present to notice but not enough to really detract from the sense of purity on the well-layered nose of both red and dark berry fruit, pungent earth and a hint of the sauvage suffused aromas. There is both good volume and fine vibrancy to the delicious and muscular medium-bodied flavors that culminate in a mildly rustic but well-balanced and persistent finish. This will require a few years of cellar time before it will deliver its full potential. 2018+
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2011 - Jancis Robinson - February 2013 - 16.5/20Sweetness of red cherry and oak spice. Inviting. Harmonious and surprisingly soft at this stage though there's a kick of tannin in the finish. Drink 2016-2022. By Julia Harding MW.
- Pommard 1er Cru « Epenots » 2011 - The World of Fine Wine - February 2013 - 15.5/20Medium-bodied, supple, with light tannins. By Stephen Brook (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 92/100Fresh cherry, raspberry, rose and sandalwood aromas and flavors highlight this aromatic, elegant red. Silky in texture, yet firm and long on the finish. Drink now through 2025.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 88/100This is structured, with tannins and dark fruits that are balanced by bright acids. The firm, dry tannins give the wine shape; it will ultimately develop into a round, rich Pinot Noir. (USA)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots"2010 - Jancis Robinson -January 2012 - 16/20Fresh cherry and redcurrant, round and crisp. Fruit character is well defined. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2009 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2011 - 90/100A powerful wine, with firm tannins and light blackberry fruit. The wine is stern, concentrated, with dark tannins as well as fresh acidity. (USA)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2009 - Burghound.com - May 2011 - 89/100Here too mild wood influence frames fresh and ripe red pinot, plum and earth aromas that give way to rich, naturally sweet and quite suave flavors that possess fine depth and solid length. The tannins are firm but not hard and this will need the better part of the next decade to be at its peak. 2017+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 16.5/20Drink 2011-2016: Bright crimson. Bright, direct fruit, Big, bold fruit and quite a bit of weight. More open than many Pommards would be at this stage. Some chew and a hint at a future but already it is so ripe it could be enjoyed now! Quite long with a hint of a cough pastille. Fine tannins much in evidence on the finish. (UK)
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2008 - Wine Spectator - February 2011 - 90/100Bright and infused with raspberry and strawberry flavors, yet there's an undercurrent of mineral and a firm structure. This stays elegant and balanced through the finish, where the oak spice chimes in. Drink now through 2020.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2008 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2010 - 89/100The tannins do have some firm character, but the fruit is more dominant, fresh and up-front. There is an attractive red-berry character, offering ripe fruits over a soft texture. By Roger Voss, USA.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2008 - Jancis Robinson - 2010 - 16.5/20Sweet and round and ripe. Fresh and clean and direct. There's an attractive purity about this wine. A little tough on the end but correct and pure enough. Drink 2012-2016.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2008 - Allen Meadows'Burghound - April 2010 - 89/100An expressive nose of red berry fruit that has just a hint of a floral/vegetal element to it but rather than being unpleasant, in this case it adds depth. The middle weight flavors possess good detail and vibrancy on the delicious, suave, mouth coating and focused finish. Lovely. 89/2016+
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 92/100Ripe, smooth and sweetly fruited. Nicely dense with lovely cherry and berry fruit as well as some spicy, structure. Delicious, dense and ripe yet quite elegant.
- Pommard "Epenots" 2007 - Wine Spectator - March 31st, 2010 - 90/100A stern red, with a core of sweet cherry and raspberry flavors. Linear and profile, with fine tension and a mineral edge on the finish. Nice balance. Best from 2012 through 2018. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2007 - Burghound.com - April 2009 - 88-90/100Red raspberry and blue berry aromas trimmed in subtle warm earth notes merge into rich and round flavors that are both very fresh and possess better volume as well as reasonably good mid-palate concentration as well as better finishing depth. There is, simply put, just more here. 2013+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots” 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 89/100A seductive nose features notes of red and blue pinot fruit with violet, earth and a gamey hint that can also be found on the rich, round and very generous flavors that possess good verve and freshness, all wrapped in a harmonious finish that has well-integrated tannins. Lovely and worth a look. 2012+ By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2005 - Wine Spectator - May 2008 - 90/100Bright cherry and cranberry notes hold sway in this rich yet elegant Pommard. Warm spice tones add harmony, and this glides to a lingering finish. Best from 2011 through 2022. 400 cases made.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 90/100This sports a wonderfully complex and broad nose of ripe red pinot fruit, warm earth and hints of game and spice that blend into rich, velvety and sweet flavors that display moderate amounts of Pommard muscle but no rusticity and the overall impression is rather stylish.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 17/20Scented and rich in mid-palate. Cracking fruit, slightly dry, textured finish. Good Pommard character. Drink 2008-14.
- 2004 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Burghound.com - April 2006 - 87-90 points :A clear step up in aromatic complexity if not elegance with deeper and earthier fruit aromas plus more serious and denser middle weight flavors that deliver fine finishing intensity as well as an attractive sweetness. This will benefit from a few years in the cellar first to unwind what are presently firm flavors.
- 2003 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Burghound.com - April 2005 - 89 points :This is the first wine to display any wood at all as subtle oak spice frames somber red and black fruit aromas that are ripe but unquestinably pinot-based. The earthy, dense, concentrated and powerful flavors stain and coat the palate with copious amounts of extract and real punch. Like so many of this group, this isn't elegant but again, it's got excellent depth of material. 89/2011+
- 2003 Pommard Epenots - Wine Spectator - February 2006 - 91 points :A mix of freshness and ripe black cherry and blackberry aromas and flavors mark this intense, muscular Pommard. Dense with fruit and tannins, they meet on the long finish. This needs time. Drink now through 2020.
- 2003 Pommard 1er Cru “Epenots” - Wine Enthusiast - September 2005 - 88 points :This is a powerful, structured wine, with dark tannins, a dry feel and ripe fruit flavours. Somewhat out of balance now but should even out as it ages.
- 2002 Pommard 1er Cru “Les Epenots” - Wine Spectator - May 15th, 2005 - 93 points :Rich and very concentrated, with cherry, licorice and mineral notes embedded in a mass of ripe tannins. Backward in style, with delicious sweet fruit from start to finish. Needs time to reveal its charm and complexity.
- 2001 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Burghound.com - April 2004 - 88 points :Light ruby. Elegant, pure and only moderately earthy red pinot fruit aromas combine with supple, precise and delicious flavors that are perhaps a bit lighte and more forward than a classic Epenots yet the persistence and finishing complexity is impressive. 88/2007-11.
- 2001 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - La Revue du Vin de France - February 2006 :Medium, vibrant robe. Rather complex bouquet; peony, ripe raspberry. Luscious palate, thoroughly fruity, quite long finale, with spicy fruity hints.
- 2000 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Burghound.com - April 2003 - 86 points :Much like the Vignes franches in style and other than somewhat more finising firmness, the two wines are not greatly dissimilar. Supple, pretty and elegant on both the nose and the palate and while I can'thelp but appreciate the finesse, I found myself wishing for more density, especially from a terroir like Epenots. 86/2006-9.
- 2000 Pommard 1er Cru "Les Epenots" - Sommelier India - May 2006 :Bright garnet-red in colour with delicate vegetal aromas. On the palate this Premier Cru is round, full and powerful with smoky, vegetal notes and rich spices. The finish is incredible and will get even better as this wine opens with age.
- 1998 Pommard 1er Cru 'Les Epenots' - The French Guide Hachette 2002 : '...This ruby-coloured wine has a nose that opens gradually with musk and undergrowth. This elegant '98 is a fine wine for laying down, with lovely richness and elegance. It is very representative of its appellation.'
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 1990 - Wine Spectator - Feb 1995 - 88/100Shows very pretty, spicy vanilla, strawberry and raspberry flavors that persist on the finish. Delicious. Try in 1997 or '98.--Red Burgundy vertical.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 1985 - Wine Spectator - Feb 1995 - 88/100Nearing its peak. Ripe and deep-colored, with lovely, smooth structure, showing cinnamon, spice and brown sugar flavors. Long and supple; tannins are almost resolved.--Red Burgundy vertical.
- Pommard 1er Cru "Epenots" 2016 - Tim Atkin - January 2018 - 92/100