Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru"Morgeot"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationChassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilChalk and clay
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- The wines of Chassagne-Montrachet offer great value and timeless image. These wines command lower prices compared with those from the neighbouring appellations of Meursault and Puligny-Montrachet, and represent good value for money. The wines are bold and reminiscent of exotic fruits and Morgeot, which lies mid-slope with a south-easterly exposure, is a perfect example of this style. Morgeot lies on the border between the Côte d'Or and Saone-et-Loire regions, which was a boundary in the Gallo-Roman period. At this time this plot of land was called Morga from the Latin margo which means edge border from which today's name Morgeot is derived.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 50% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteIntense and bold with notes of almond, mango and mint and long pure finish. This finish is fresh and rich.
- Food PairingShellfish - fish - foie gras - goats cheese
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 93/100Attractive fresh melon, fine lemon and grapefruit with some stony nuances. The palate has a very crisp core of white and yellow peaches with a grapefruit edge at the finish. Good balance and very composed. Drink or hold.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" Blanc 2016 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 - 90/100
Subtle green-gold. Fine nose of almonds and hazelnuts, in the mouth the richness of Morgeot. An achievement in frost-hit Chassagne. - Michael Edwards
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" Blanc 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 16,5/20
Butter, spice, herbs, lemon juice, saline minerality to finish. Smoky notes too. Drink 2017-2022
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 93/100
Rich and rounded with a creamy texture, this wine is ripe with apricots and has a strongly mineral character. Full of fruit... (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2015 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 89/100
A slightly riper nose offers up aromas of white peach, honey, petrol and resin hints that are in keeping with the equally ripe, round and very rich full-bodied flavors that are quite generous, indeed even opulent, all wrapped in a delicious and solidly complex finish. This is very Morgeot in character and should drink well early if desired. 89/2019+
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 2015 "Morgeot" blanc - Jancis Robinson - January 2017 - 15.5/20
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "A very big wine"
A nose with fresh high tones, faintly herby. A beautiful silky texture followed by a wave of weighted, concentrated flavour. Mineral length. A very big wine, a little mineral that would benefit from more freshness but is still very tasty. (Not yet bottled) Bill Nanson (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2013 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2015 - 93/100Conveying a sense of richness, this is a smooth and creamy wine with a tannic structure that emerges out of the ripe apple and pear flavors. Acidity at the end is already well integrated into the crisp texture with its touch of orange zest and minerality. Drink from 2018. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2013 - Wine Spectator - June 2016 - 90/100
Slim and elegant, this white offers lemon candy, floral, honey and vanilla aromas and flavors. Fluid and open, with a lingering finish of mineral and spice. Drink now through 2020.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2013 - James Suckling - June 2015 - 92/100A
wine with dried apple, honey, lemon and hints of minerals. Medium to full body,
bright acidity and a mineral, cedar character. Drink or hold.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2013 - Burghound.com - June 2015 - 90/100Ripe and mildly exotic yellow orchard fruit. There is excellent volume to the broad-shouldered and muscular flavors that possess very good mid-palate concentration before concluding in a lingering and mouth coating finale. This is not a wine of finesse but then again Morgeot rarely is. By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2012 - Burgundy Report - June 2014 - "I like the flavour very much"Cask sample. Here is a fine, high-toned, pretty nose that holds a tight core of riper yellow fruit, currently at bay. (...) I like the flavour very much.- Bill Nanson
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2012 - Jancis Robinson - January 2014 - 16/20Pale golden honey colour. Sweet start and easy, barley-water flavours. Drink 2015-2019 (cask sample) UK
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" white 2012 - Tim Atkin - February 2014 - 93/100 (UK)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 91/100Ripe and structured, it has the weight and broad feel of a Chassagne-Montrachet. Firmly textured and concentrated, it also shows soft fruitiness. The power will keep it aging well, so drink from 2017. Online Exclusive (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Blanc "Morgeot" 2011 - Wine Spectator - August 2014 - 89/100A broad style, exhibiting apple pie flavors on an open frame, with a hint of mineral on the moderately long finish. Best from 2015 through 2022. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet "Morgeot” 2011 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows (USA) - June 2013 - 91/100There is good power and volume to the muscular, generous and mouth coating flavors that possess good complexity and fine length. This is a relatively big wine yet it remains well-balanced. 2016+
- Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2010 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2012 - 92/100 This is a structured wine with rich, concentrated fruits. It has a strong mineral content along with a tense texture. Tropical fruit flavors come through on the rich, opulent finish. By Roger Voss (USA).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" 2010 - Wine Spectator Online - February 2013 - 90/100A generous white, whose lemon, apple and toast flavors are wrapped in a creamy embrace. Stays persistent and long, with spice and toast accents. Drink now through 2020. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2010 - Jancis Robinson - January 2012 - 16.5/20Apricot and peach, opulent and fleshy character, with a creeping mineral dryness on the finish showing some attractive chalky, flinty flavour. Drink 2012-2016. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" rouge 2009 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2011 - 16.5/20 Intense, green-gold; all the matière, richness and weight of Morgeot but all well balanced. Shows well already. By Michael Edwards (UK).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2009 - Jancis Robinson - January 2011 - 15.5/20 Mid gold. Firm and with very ripe satiny fruit in the middle. Drink 2011-2014. By Richard Hemming (UK).
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 90/100Loaded with ripe apple flavors and accented by butterscotch, this broad-shouldered white also picks up spice notes as it powers to the lingering finish. This is blanced toward ripeness, yet handles it well. Best from 2013 through 2020. (USA)
- Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Morgeot" blanc 2006 - Jack Brice on Wine Blog - November 2012 - "Favorite Chardonnay of the Summer"The color is a serious gold, nothing light or thin about it. The nose is light, toasty and slightly floral, followed by flavors that flow strongly but smoothly through stone fruits, apricot, honey, oak and finish with a nutty toastiness that is wonderfully inviting to the next sip. For me, the key to this wine's wonderfulness is balance - all the flavors, even though they are intense, are beautifully balanced throughout - and for that reason I declare that this is my favorite chardonnay of the summer. By Jack Brice (USA).